Ready in just 30 minutes, here’s the fail proof recipe for a Whole Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower, which is drizzled in a heavenly garlic butter sauce!
Uncovering the Idea Behind the Whole Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower Recipe
Whole Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower Recipe is such a show-stopping main or side dish. Perfect to serve at holiday parties or any weeknight meal!
So, okay, I know it may not seem like it…. but I am a vegetable lover. I know I love to post a lot of cookies and pies and cakes, but veggies are my jam.
Even when I was little, my favorite snacks were cut up watermelon or raw vegetables. I know, I don’t get it either but I am what I am.
One of my favorite veggies is cauliflower. My mom makes a kick butt broccoli and cauliflower casserole we have every holiday, I just can’t get enough!
But, I have never tried romanesco cauliflower until I tried this recipe, and… the verdict is in.. I love it! I honestly can’t really tell a difference between regular cauliflower and the romanesco variety but it is just so pretty!
If anything the romanesco variety is a touch milder in flavor.
I mean, just look how pretty:
And, such a perfect side dish or even main course to serve during the holidays! That green from the cauliflower, the red from the red pepper flakes, can’t get enough!
Can I use regular cauliflower if I can’t find Romanesco for this recipe?
Yes, you can! I’ve made it both ways and they both came out so yummy!!
How to Roast Romanesco Cauliflower
Ready in 30 minutes? I thought whole roasted cauliflower can take up to 2 hours!
You’re right, whole roasted cauliflower can take up to 2 hours. But, I’ve added a handy dandy little trick to take the cooking time from 2 hours down to 30 minutes!
Microwave. It’s a microwave. Surprise!
And, no. It’s doesn’t come out mushy… or weird tasting. It still has a little al dente bite to it and it’s just good.
I mean… garlic butter sauce, can you go wrong here? No.
Whole Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower Directions:
- Cut off outer leaves of the cauliflower, and take out as much of the core as you can keeping the outer clusters intact.
- Rub with olive oil and season with kosher salt. Microwave for 12-15 minutes.
- Roast at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Make butter sauce consisting of butter, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Serve sauce over warm cauliflower. Enjoy!
What I really love about this dish is that it’s easy, yet satisfying. If you are vegetarian you can make this as a main dish or use vegan butter and bam!- a vegan main.
It is so good I would definitely make it for myself if you-know-who wasn’t in town for dinner. It is easily two portions for a main or 4-6 portions for a side dish and oh-so impressive!
Can you imagine bringing this baby out to carve along side a big turkey for Thanksgiving! Your guests will go nuts for this!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Tools and ingredients used to make this recipe:
- Baking dish. I love using this for chicken pot pie too!
- Small skillet. For the garlic butter sauce but it comes in handy for anything from making eggs to other sauce and vinaigrettes.
- Olive oil. I love keeping a big bottle on hand, I use it for roasting everything!
More yummy roasted recipes:
- Steakhouse Style Roasted Mushrooms with Garlic Butter Sauce
- Spicy Rosemary Roasted Cashews
- Rosemary Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
Whole Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower (30 minutes!)
- 1 head romanesco cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more if you like a kick!
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped fine
- 4 cracks fresh black pepper
- Cut off cauliflower leaves and discard. With a paring knife, carefully remove as much of the stem as you can, making sure to keep the outer clusters intact. Rinse thoroughly.
- Rub head of cauliflower with olive oil, sprinkle with half of the kosher salt. Place in an oven and microwave safe baking dish. In the bottom of the dish, pour 1/4 cup of water. Microwave on high for 15 minutes in 5-minute intervals. Cauliflower will be softened but not mushy.
- While cauliflower is in the microwave, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place baking dish with the cauliflower into the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until browned.
- While the cauliflower is in the oven, make the sauce by placing a small pan over medium heat. Melt the butter, add in the garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Take off the heat, add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, parsley, and black pepper.
- When cauliflower is done roasting, pour the butter sauce directly on top, or cut into portions and spoon sauce over the cut portions.