Ready in just 30 minutes, here’s the fail proof recipe for a Whole Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower, which is drizzled in a heavenly garlic butter sauce!
Uncovering the Idea Behind the Whole Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower Recipe
Whole Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower Recipe is such a show-stopping main or side dish. Perfect to serve at holiday parties or any weeknight meal!
So, okay, I know it may not seem like it…. but I am a vegetable lover. I know I love to post a lot of cookies and pies and cakes, but veggies are my jam.
Even when I was little, my favorite snacks were cut up watermelon or raw vegetables. I know, I don’t get it either but I am what I am.
One of my favorite veggies is cauliflower. My mom makes a kick butt broccoli and cauliflower casserole we have every holiday, I just can’t get enough!
But, I have never tried romanesco cauliflower until I tried this recipe, and… the verdict is in.. I love it! I honestly can’t really tell a difference between regular cauliflower and the romanesco variety but it is just so pretty!
If anything the romanesco variety is a touch milder in flavor.
I mean, just look how pretty:
And, such a perfect side dish or even main course to serve during the holidays! That green from the cauliflower, the red from the red pepper flakes, can’t get enough!
Can I use regular cauliflower if I can’t find Romanesco for this recipe?
Yes, you can! I’ve made it both ways and they both came out so yummy!!
How to Roast Romanesco Cauliflower
Ready in 30 minutes? I thought whole roasted cauliflower can take up to 2 hours!
You’re right, whole roasted cauliflower can take up to 2 hours. But, I’ve added a handy dandy little trick to take the cooking time from 2 hours down to 30 minutes!
Microwave. It’s a microwave. Surprise!
And, no. It’s doesn’t come out mushy… or weird tasting. It still has a little al dente bite to it and it’s just good.
I mean… garlic butter sauce, can you go wrong here? No.
Whole Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower Directions:
- Cut off outer leaves of the cauliflower, and take out as much of the core as you can keeping the outer clusters intact.
- Rub with olive oil and season with kosher salt. Microwave for 12-15 minutes.
- Roast at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Make butter sauce consisting of butter, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Serve sauce over warm cauliflower. Enjoy!
What I really love about this dish is that it’s easy, yet satisfying. If you are vegetarian you can make this as a main dish or use vegan butter and bam!- a vegan main.
It is so good I would definitely make it for myself if you-know-who wasn’t in town for dinner. It is easily two portions for a main or 4-6 portions for a side dish and oh-so impressive!
Can you imagine bringing this baby out to carve along side a big turkey for Thanksgiving! Your guests will go nuts for this!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Tools and ingredients used to make this recipe:
- Baking dish. I love using this for chicken pot pie too!
- Small skillet. For the garlic butter sauce but it comes in handy for anything from making eggs to other sauce and vinaigrettes.
- Olive oil. I love keeping a big bottle on hand, I use it for roasting everything!
More yummy roasted recipes:
- Steakhouse Style Roasted Mushrooms with Garlic Butter Sauce
- Spicy Rosemary Roasted Cashews
- Rosemary Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
Whole Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower (30 minutes!)
- 1 head romanesco cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more if you like a kick!
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped fine
- 4 cracks fresh black pepper
- Cut off cauliflower leaves and discard. With a paring knife, carefully remove as much of the stem as you can, making sure to keep the outer clusters intact. Rinse thoroughly.
- Rub head of cauliflower with olive oil, sprinkle with half of the kosher salt. Place in an oven and microwave safe baking dish. In the bottom of the dish, pour 1/4 cup of water. Microwave on high for 15 minutes in 5-minute intervals. Cauliflower will be softened but not mushy.
- While cauliflower is in the microwave, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place baking dish with the cauliflower into the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until browned.
- While the cauliflower is in the oven, make the sauce by placing a small pan over medium heat. Melt the butter, add in the garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Take off the heat, add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, parsley, and black pepper.
- When cauliflower is done roasting, pour the butter sauce directly on top, or cut into portions and spoon sauce over the cut portions.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER.
Get my latest recipes goodies straight to your inbox!
I hate Spam as much as you do so, No Spam I promise!
Comments & Reviews
Rebecca Hubbell says
Wow, this looks amazing! Pretty sure I could eat just this for dinner! I love cauliflower!
What a fabulous idea…I had no idea what to do with this type of cauliflower.
How long would you suggest baking if we dont want to put it in the microwave?
Dana DeVolk says
Hi Lizzie, it will take 50-60 minutes in the oven alone. Thanks for asking!
I think calculating cook time by the size of the head. Mine was pretty small and truly over-cooked. It otherwise could be really good, I suspect.