Beef and Broccoli, tender flank steak marinated and seared at a high temp, mixed with broccoli in a thick soy-based gravy, like your favorite takeout, but better!
This beef and broccoli recipe uses simple pantry ingredients and is super easy to throw together.
Beef and Broccoli
Beef and Broccoli… this recipe is truly better than any takeout restaurant I have had!
I’ve put a lot of thought into this over the years and I think I have finally come to the conclusion that Asian food is my favorite. All of it.
Beef and Broccoli already!
Thank you so much for your eagerness to view my recipe.
If you would rather not hear my super helpful tips and tricks, FAQ, and my overall awesomeness and get straight to this delicious Beef and Broccoli recipe – you can very easily scroll all the way to the bottom of this post for the full printable FREE recipe! Bon appetit.
I’ve had versions of this dish that isn’t the best, you have to go to a more expensive restaurant to get the good stuff. Not anymore!
With this recipe, you can experience the best Asian restaurant beef and broccoli homemade! (But, this is even better!)
And, believe me, this is an extremely easy recipe! Adapted from Rainy Day Gal.
Asian Beef and Broccoli
How to prepare Beef and Broccoli:
- First, marinate the meat for at least one hour.
- Once you are ready to cook this after the meat has marinated, it is a very fast process. Make sure you read all the directions first, have everything and won’t be interrupted. It is cooked over extremely high heat so you can’t walk away from it.
- Sear broccoli over high heat set aside.
- Add beef to the skillet, and sear until you form a crust on all sides. About 8-10 minutes.
- Add broccoli back to the pan and the gravy, toss to coat and cook an additional minute. Serve and enjoy!
What is beef and broccoli?
Beef and broccoli is a staple Americanized Chinese dish. With seared beef and broccoli at a high temperature, this dish goes together very quickly, making it an ideal weeknight meal.
What’s in beef and broccoli sauce?
The beef and broccoli and tossed in a thick soy gravy made with soy sauce, beef stock, garlic, and ginger. This dish is extremely flavorful, and addictive.
Yum, really try and get a good sear like the picture above. It makes all the difference, so good!
I have made this multiple times already after finding the original recipe on pinterest, it is sooo good!!
What beef for beef and broccoli?
I love using flank steak because you can sear it super quick and it won’t overcook, leaving the beef very tender.
If you can’t find flank steak, I have used a London broil I found on sale and it was just as yummy!
You will love this beef and broccoli easy recipe!
I really hope you liked today’s recipe, please try it… you will NOT be disappointed!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Tools used to make beef and broccoli recipe:
What to serve with beef and broccoli?
I love to serve this asian beef and broccoli with just plain steamed white rice.
How to make white rice?
- In a small saucepot over medium-high heat, add 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Add one cup of long-grain white rice, stir a couple of times around the pot. Cover, reduce heat to low.
- DO NOT remove the lid, cook on low for 20 minutes. Take off the heat, let sit 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork to serve.
- I love to add 2 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, and a few cracks of fresh black pepper to mine. Stir to combine.
Other recipes that would go well with this beef and broccoli recipe:
- chicken lettuce wraps
- sesame green beans
- grilled asparagus
- baked cream cheese wontons with sweet and sour sauce
- Wonton Egg Drop Soup
How to make beef and broccoli
Better Than Take Out Beef and Broccoli
- 1 & 1/2 pound flank steak
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
Beef and Broccoli
- 2 broccoli crowns cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/3 Cup low sodium soy sauce definitely use low sodium here!
- 3 Tablespoon beef stock
- 2 Tablespoon brown sugar packed
- 4 garlic cloves minced fine
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root minced fine
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon flour
- 3 Tablespoon oil divided
- Trim excess fat off the flank steak, cut into 1 1/2 to 2-inch slices against the grain. Mix the baking soda, sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, water, and oil in a bowl and whisk together. Add cut steak to a gallon sized zip lock bag and pour in the marinade. Massage the marinade into the meat so all of it is covered. Place in fridge and let marinate for 1 hour.
Beef and Broccoli
- First, mix the "gravy" by placing the soy, stock, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, vinegar and flour into a small bowl, whisk to combine until there are no lumps of flour. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy bottom skillet, heat over high temp until very hot. Place 2 Tablespoons of the oil into skillet. Place broccoli into the oil, very carefully (make sure broccoli is COMPLETELY dry or you will get hot oil splattered all over). Saute broccoli for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place broccoli on a plate and set aside.
- Keeping the heat over high heat, add in the remaining vegetable oil. VERY CAREFULLY add in the marinated steak and half of the sauce. Make sure beef covers the bottom of the pan and let sit for 1 minute to form a good sear. Stir and flatten to cover the bottom of the pan again, sear for another minute. Keep doing this until beef is nicely seared and cooked through, there is no pink left. the can take 8-10 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli and the remaining sauce. Toss to coat and let cook one additional minute. Serve with your favorite sides, enjoy!
- Dark Chocolate Strawberry Homemade Granola - February 26, 2020
- White Chocolate Truffles - February 25, 2020
- Easy Grilled Asparagus Recipe (Ready in Under 15 Minutes!) - February 24, 2020