Baked Cream Cheese Wonton Cups, better than takeout and ready in under 20 minutes!
Cream cheese wontons are my FAVORITE Chinese take-out appetizer. I get them every time. EVERY time.
They are just so creamy and delicious and addictive. When you get them out though they are normally fried.
So, this version is ever so slightly healthier but, I mean with a filling made from mostly cream cheese and sour cream… what do you expect? lol.
Either way, these are super simple and go together in less than 20 minutes. I think this would be an amazing appetizer to serve at a party!
The filling for these is super simple. Just 6 ingredients, cream cheese, sour cream, scallions, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and sugar.
Baked Cream Cheese Wonton Cups Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a wonton wrapper in the divets of a muffin tin, pressing them down to form cups. Bake for 8 minutes.
- While wontons are baking, make the filling by creaming everything together. Evenly divide filling among the 12 wrappers.
- Bake an addition 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Garnish with more scallions. Serve with sweet and sour sauce (recipe coming soon!).
These are easy to adapt to your tastes.
Alternatives and Add-Ons:
If you really like a garlic punch, instead of the powder, add a minced garlic clove to the mix.
Add cheddar cheese for an even cheesier bite. Or, a diced jalapeno would go so well with these!
You can also deep fry them if you wish. Here are the steps for that:
- You will use slightly less filling for these. Place about 2 teaspoons filling in a wrapper.
- Take a little bit of water and run it along the edges of the wonton with your fingers. Close the wonton, making a triangle. Press the edges together to make sure they are closed.
- Fry in 350-degree oil until just golden brown, drain, and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links.
Tools used for this recipe:
- Medium-sized bowl to mix the filling.
- Hand mixer to mix the filling.
- Chef’s knife, to cut the scallions. Every kitchen needs one.
- Muffin Tin to bake the wontons in.
- I recommend this deep fryer if you want to fry them instead.
More yummy Chinese takeout appetizer recipes from my favorite bloggers:
Baked Cream Cheese Wonton Cups
- 12 wonton wrappers*
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 scallions, green part only thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Place a wonton wrapper into each divet in the muffin tin, and press down to form a cup. Bake for 8 minutes.
While the empty wonton cups are baking, make the filling. Place the cream cheese in a medium-sized bowl. With a hand mixer, beat until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and mix to combine.
Evenly distribute the filling between the 12 wonton cups. Place back in the oven for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Garnish with scallions (optional). Serve with sweet and sour sauce (recipe to come soon!).
*You will need more wonton wrappers if you decide to deep fry them instead.
Order My Cookbook!