The Best Fluffy Buttercream Frosting, light as air and not too sweet!
Buttercream frosting is the perfect topping for cupcakes, cakes, and cookies. Or even just eating with a spoon!
Happy Friday! So, I’m going to get right into this.
I’m in a lot of forums on facebook. Everything from Dalmatians to baking.
And, one thing I come across in the foodie forums are people asking for THE BEST buttercream frosting recipe. A lot.
I’ve seen the same complaints about these points on different occasions; sometimes it just comes out overly sweet. Other times it is too thick or even too runny.
BUT, I finally put together the best (to me and quite a few in the comments below, thanks guys!) recipe for the best fluffy buttercream frosting.
Take me to the recipe for Buttercream Frosting already!
Thank you so much for your eagerness to view my recipe.
If you would rather not hear my super helpful tips and tricks, FAQ, and my overall awesomeness and get straight to this delicious buttercream frosting recipe – you can very easily scroll all the way to the bottom of this post for the full printable FREE recipe! Bon appetit.
After making this batch of buttercream frosting yesterday for a super yummy upcoming Margarita Cupcake post, I knew I had to share it, and quick!
It is SO fluffy, and light and airy and just… YUM.
I showed a photo to my Mom over text and she asked me if it was cool whip because it looked so fluffy but nope! Just the best buttercream ever made!
It reminds me a lot of that whipped frosting you can get on cakes at the grocery store. Those are normally made with whipping cream but not this one.
This has traditional buttercream ingredients but I think what really sets it apart is the way you add everything into the mixing bowl.
Butter. Powdered Sugar. Vanilla. Milk and a pinch of salt… that’s it! Easy.
I really took my time to perfect this buttercream frosting recipe and I hope you enjoy it too!
How to make buttercream frosting fluffy?
- First, I sifted the powdered sugar so it was light as air. Then, whip the softened butter until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar just a spoonful at a time, making sure each batch is incorporated until adding the next. I really think this is what made this frosting stand out.
How to make buttercream frosting less sweet?
When baking it is very important to always use unsalted butter unless otherwise stated in a recipe. But, the addition of salt to recipes is what helps to counteract the sweetness.
So, use that unsalted butter for this recipe BUT, make sure to add in just a pinch of kosher salt. Not too sweet, not salty at all, just the perfect buttercream frosting!
How to store buttercream frosting?
If you are not going to frost your cake, cupcakes, or cookies right away, place the buttercream frosting in an air-tight container. Place the container in the fridge until ready to use.
Warning though, since there is butter in the recipe, the frosting will harden up.
Let the frosting warm up a little and place it back into the stand mixer and whip until light and fluffy again. This will only take a minute or two.
Can buttercream be left at room temperature?
This is a great debate. Once you make and decorate with buttercream frosting for cupcakes or cakes, what do you do with them?
Do they need to be refrigerated or can they stay on the counter?
Even though buttercream icing has both butter and milk in it, it can stay at room temperature for two to three days according to the U.S. Food Safety and Inspection Services. It can stay out because of the high amount of sugar in the frosting.
Can buttercream frosting be made ahead of time?
Yes! Like mentioned above, just place it in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
How long does buttercream frosting last in the refrigerator?
Buttercream will last in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Can I freeze buttercream frosting?
Yes, when placed in an airtight container, the frosting will last in the freezer for up to three months.
Looking for cupcake recipes to top with this buttercream icing recipe? Try some of these:
- Banana Cupcakes (also a recipe for the best cream cheese frosting!)
- Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- Surprise Inside Heart Cupcakes
Tools used to make Buttercream Frosting:
How to make homemade buttercream frosting from scratch:
The Best Fluffy Buttercream Frosting
- 1 Cup unsalted butter, softened or 2 sticks
- 4 cups powdered sugar sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or clear vanilla extract* or extract flavor of your choice
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Place butter in the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until smooth and fluffy, about a minute.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar a spoonful at a time over medium-low speed. Keep doing this until all of the sugar is added, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Add the salt and stir to combine, add in the vanilla and stir to combine. Add the milk and whip the frosting for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.