Apple Cinnamon Twists, apple pie turned into a breakfast treat, dripping with vanilla bean glaze! These cinnamon twists are the perfect addition to afternoon tea time, with coffee in the morning, or even with a scoop of ice cream for dessert!
Ahh, is there nothing better than a good ole slice of American apple pie?! I think not! Warm and gooey with a hint of cinnamon, I’m in Heaven just thinking about it!
How about I tell you that you can have apple pie for breakfast? Intrigued yet? Well, look no further because your dreams have come true with these apple cinnamon twists!
If you are looking for a Taco Bell cinnamon twist recipe, these are slightly different. Taco Bell cinnamon twists are fried dough, similar to churros.
Today’s recipe for homemade cinnamon twists is made from pie crust. I have also seen cinnamon twists made with puff pastry as well!
Apple cinnamon twists dripping with sweet vanilla bean glaze, your new go-to breakfast! Or snack, or dessert! They are so good, you will find any excuse to whip up a batch.
Not to mention the simplicity of this recipe, wow! Your family and friends will think you were slaving in the kitchen for hours whipping these up but they are so EASY!
But, it only takes about 20 minutes in total! With 15 minutes of that time waiting for these cuties to bake right up.
How to make cinnamon twists from scratch:
- I used a pre-bought pie crust and apple filling for these, literally could not be easier!
- Lay out one pie crust, coat with cinnamon sugar mixture. Spread smooth apple pie filling on top.
- Place another pie crust on top. Sprinkle more cinnamon sugar.
- Next, we have to cut them into twists, using a pizza cutter makes this super easy.
- Cut off the sides until it makes a square. Cut into 1/2 inch strips.
- Take one piece at a time, and gently twist them and lay them on a lined baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Brush each twist with egg wash. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar over each piece.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely on a wired rack.
- Pipe glaze over twist, pour the glaze on, or use the glaze as a dipping sauce, enjoy!
Try dipping these in Cinnamon Buttermilk Caramel Sauce, woah!
All that drippy glaze really sets them off!
You can also make these into cinnamon rolls (or Apple Cinnamon Cream Cheese Rolls Ups?!)! Let me know if you want a post dedicated to them below!
Homemade cinnamon twists recipe:
Apple Cinnamon TwistsPrint
- 1 cup apple pie filling
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pre-made pie crusts
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water lightly beaten together
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place apple pie filling into a food processor and process until smooth but slightly chunky. Set aside.
- Mix together coarse sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
Thaw pie crust per directions on the back of the box before starting the process. Lay out one pie crust and evenly coat with 1/3 of the sugar mixture. Layer the apple pie filling on top, evenly smoothing it out. Layer on the second pie crust, top with another 1/3 of the coarse sugar mixture.
Taking a pizza cutter, cut off sides until it is a square shape. Cut 1/2 inch thin strips. Makes about 12 strips.
- Taking one piece at a time, gently twist and place on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Lightly brush each piece with egg wash. Sprinkle the remaining sugar mixture on each piece. Bake for 15 minutes, until slightly golden brown. Place sheet tray on a wired rack to cool
- While twists are cooling, mix together the powdered sugar, cream/milk, and vanilla paste to form the glaze. Glaze twists by using a piping bag, or just drizzling it over each piece with a fork or spoon. Serve warm, enjoy!