Funnel Cake Apple Fries, fresh apple slices are dipped in funnel cake batter and fried to golden brown.
Apple fries? YES! Dipping sliced apples into funnel cake batter turns into apple fries, my friends! I love putting fun twists on recipes and coming up with something new! And today I get to share with you one of those fun twists.
Ever since I grabbed a big bag of Opal Apples at my local grocery store, I couldn’t wait to get cooking with them! Of course, they are perfectly delicious on their own but, I always like to jazz things up.
Opal Apples are somewhat new to me. I just heard about “the apple that doesn’t brown” and I had to check them out for myself! I have to say, I am totally impressed with this apple variety. It is naturally non-browning, non-GMO certified, crunchy and sweet! Also, perfect for cooking!
This recipe for Funnel Cake Apple Fries is inspired by an older recipe of mine, Caramel Apple Funnel Cakes. I have to say, these just might be even easier to make! If that’s even possible. 😉
Served with powdered sugar garnish and caramel sauce for dipping, these would be an incredible after school snack!
Funnel Cake Apple Fries
- Place eggs in a large bowl and whisk together with the sugar, milk, and vanilla until thoroughly combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and flour. Add the dry mixture to the wet a little at a time until fully mixed in.
- Peel the apples cut them into fourths and remove the stem and seeds. Slice into three even slices. Toss with the cornstarch.
- In a large skillet with deep sides, add enough oil to about 1/2 inch up the side of the pan. Heat over medium heat. Oil is ready when a tiny drop of batter placed into the oil will sink and immediately rise with bubbles all around.
- Dip apple slices one by one into the batter, allowing excess to drip off. Carefully place into the oil and let fry, turning occasionally until golden brown on all sides. Let drain on a paper towel-lined sheet just to get off the excess oil. Place apple fries on a wired rack over a sheet try while frying the remaining apples.
- Top with powdered sugar and serve with caramel sauce for dipping, optional.
Powdered sugar and caramel sauce is optional… but I mean, come on!