Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake is the perfect fall breakfast, snack, or even dessert!
With a luscious glaze and chopped pecans, this cinnamon coffee cake will be the hit of any gathering. But, yummy enough to make just because too!
Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Cinnamon swirl coffee cake made with apples, pecans, and a thick vanilla glaze. This post is sponsored by BJ’s Wholesale Club, all opinions are 100% my own.
Fall is practically here my friends and I am celebrating with this amazingly luscious apple cinnamon coffee cake!
You won’t believe how moist and flavorful this bundt cake is!
Honestly, as soon as the kids go back to school, to me, it’s fall. That means all pumpkin, apple, and cinnamon EVERYTHING.
Fall is just my absolute favorite time of the year and I’m not afraid to shout it from the mountains.
Except, I don’t have a mountain, I have this lovely blog and all my amazing readers to push my love on to, you’re welcome.
Do you know who else is all about those fall flavors?! My bestie, BJ’s Wholesale Club.
That’s right – they are ready to stock you up on all things fall.
Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
So, what makes this the best cinnamon coffee cake recipe?
- There is a ton of sour cream and butter in the batter, making it super moist.
- Grated apples throughout adds to the moistness while adding a touch of extra flavor.
- Cinnamon swirl through the middle with chopped pecans, a little crunch from the nuts adds the best texture element!
- THICK vanilla glaze, you will want to bathe it in. And, I won’t judge you for that!
- You can have a slice for breakfast (any excuse to eat cake for breakfast I’m all for), a snack, or even dessert. I warmed up a couple slices the other night and served it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and cinnamon buttermilk caramel sauce on top. We like to live dangerously.
What are the best apples for baking?
For this easy cinnamon coffee cake recipe, I used Honeycrisp apples. This is my personal favorite apple variety anyway.
I used Honeycrisp because they are known as a good baking apple because they have a firm flesh that can stand up to heat. Also, BJ’s Wholesale Club has big bags of them, perfect for snacking and baking!
According to Midwest Living other great baking apples include Granny Smith, Gala, and Cortland.
How to make cinnamon sour cream coffee cake
- Make the batter by mixing together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the granulated sugar and softened butter, with the paddle attachment mix until creamed. Add the vanilla, and eggs one at a time and mix in.
- Add the sour cream and the dry mixture to the bowl a little at a time alternating between the two until combined. Scrape the sides as need.
- Mix in the grated apple.
- In a small bowl, mix together the filling of brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and chopped pecans.
- Place 1/3 of the cake batter into a well-greased bundt cake pan and smooth. Sprinkle half of the filling over the batter. Add another 1/3 of the cake batter and smooth, sprinkle with the remaining filling. Add the rest of the batter and smooth the top.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean. A few crumbs are okay, but any wet batter needs longer to bake.
- Let cake cool completely, once cool top with the glaze made of melted butter, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Garnish with more pecans if desired.
Can you freeze coffee cake?
Yes! Follow the directions up to cooling the cake, make sure the cake cools completely.
Wrap the cake a few times with freezer plastic wrap and place into a bag or wrap in foil. Place into the freezer, the cake will last in the freezer up to three months for the best quality.
To thaw, place the cake in the fridge overnight, or place on the countertop until no longer frozen. Once the cake is defrosted and at room temperature, glaze and serve.
Similar recipes you might like:
If you are interested in becoming a member of BJ’s Wholesale Club like me, then just click on this link to register.
Just for signing up you and I will both receive a $25 BJ’s gift card, score!
How to make cinnamon coffee cake
Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Coffee Cake Batter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 & 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 Honeycrisp Apples* (or any baking apple) peeled and grated
For the filling
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease well a bundt pan with cooking spray. In a medium-sized bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl and an electric hand mixer, add the butter and granulated sugar. Cream together until smooth, add the vanilla and eggs one at a time, mix well.
- Alternating between the sour cream and the dry mixture, add each a little at a time until fully mixed in. Scrape the sides down as needed. Add the grated apple and mix to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, make the filling by mixing together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans.
- Pour 1/3 of the cake batter into the bundt pan and smooth out the top with a spatula. Sprinkle 1/2 of the filling on top evenly. Pour another 1/3 of the cake batter on top, and smooth. Add the remaining filling evenly. Top with the last of the batter and smooth the top. Bake for 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center, comes out mostly clean. A few crumbs are okay, but any wet batter means it needs to bake longer.
- Let cake cool in the pan for 20 minutes, flip out onto a serving platter and let cool completely.
For the glaze
- While the cake is cooling, make the glaze by whisking the melted butter and sugar together in a medium-sized bowl. Add the milk and vanilla, whisk until smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the top of the cooled cake, garnish with more pecans if desired.