This Spiced Apple Cider Sheet Cake is spiced cake infused with apple cider and topped with brown sugar frosting, flavorful, fun and the perfect fall dessert!
One of my favorite fall beverages is a glass of warm apple cider. It immediately transports me to cool, breezy days. There is nothing like fall weather, in my eyes it’s perfect.
I thought it would be fun to dress up your everyday cake mix into something fitting for the season. Most cake mixes have you adding water and oil to the mix. Instead of that, I used apple cider and apple butter!
The result was a moist, light cake. There is a very faint apple flavor, spiciness from the mix and it’s all topped off with the BEST brown sugar frosting!
If you want that perfect fall cake then you have to try this Spiced Apple Cider Sheet Cake, you will fall in love. If you are an apple fan then this one is absolutely for you!
I love apple cider and when I am able to bake or cook with it is really elevates that dish to a whole new level! It is so fun and flavorful and the spices are just amazing, you can’t go wrong.
Some of my other favorite apple recipes that we have on our site include: Fried Apple Crumble, Apple Cinnamon Twists and Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
- Doctoring up a boxed cake mix makes this easy and so flavorful.
- The frosting really takes this to another and pairs so well with this cake flavor.
- You can bake this in a larger pan to make them thinner and serve more people.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED (FULL RECIPE BELOW):
Vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
HOW TO MAKE SPICED APPLE CIDER SHEET CAKE:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add cake mix, eggs, apple cider and apple butter to a large bowl.
Mix on low 1 minute, scrap the sides. Mix on medium for 2 minutes. P
our batter into a greased13x9 inch pan. Bake 26 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool completely.
Brown Sugar Frosting:
In a small saucepan, whisk the flour into the milk and cook over medium heat, whisking continuously until thick. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and let cool to room temp.
With a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and there is no graininess left. Add in the cooled milk mixture and beat it on high speed until a whipped cream consistency. This can take a while, do not give up! Well worth the effort.
Frost cake, serve and enjoy!
WHAT SIZE PAN DO I USE?
For this Spiced Apple Cider Sheet Cake, we use a 9″x13″ pan, if you want the cake to be thinner you can pour into a larger pan like a 10″x15″ one as well.
CAN I USE APPLE JUICE?
Apple cider is recommended for this recipe because of the spices, but if you are in a pinch and can’t find apple cider apple juice will work.
You want to go for that apple flavor mainly so the juice will still give that apple flavor just it will be less potent than if it were apple cider.
HOW TO STORE:
This Sheet Cake will last covered tightly with plastic wrap or foil at room temperature for up to 3 days. This can also be frozen.
To freeze, store any leftovers in an airtight freezer container and it should keep for up to 4-5 months, let defrost on the countertop before eating.
TIPS AND TRICKS:
- You can use your own homemade spice cake if you’d like but make sure to substitute with the apple cider and apple butter.
- Apple juice can be used in a pinch in this recipe.
- This can be frozen, see my tips above.
- You can use any type of frosting that you like, we love the brown sugar frosting.
- Make this in a larger pan for shorter pieces and to serve more people.
If you want that perfect fall cake that everyone will fall (no pun intended) head over heels for, then you need to try my Spiced Apple Cider Cake.
If you like this recipe you might also like:
If you’ve tried this SPICED APPLE CIDER SHEET CAKE let me know in the comments how it turned out! You can follow me over on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK to find some more of our mouthwatering recipes!
Spiced Apple Cider Sheet Cake
- Spice Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/3 cup apple butter
Brown Sugar Frosting
- 2½ Tablespoon all purpose flour
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temp
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add cake mix, eggs, apple cider and apple butter to a large bowl. Mix on low 1 minute, scrap the sides. Mix on medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter into a greased13x9 inch pan. Bake 26 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool completely.
Brown Sugar Frosting
- In a small saucepan, whisk the flour into the milk and cook over medium heat, whisking continuously until thick. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and let cool to room temp.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and there is no graininess left. Add in the cooled milk mixture and beat it on high speed until a whipped cream consistency. This can take a while, do not give up! Well worth the effort.
- Frost cake, serve and enjoy
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER.
Get my latest recipes goodies straight to your inbox!
I hate Spam as much as you do so, No Spam I promise!
Comments & Reviews
Mrs Major Hoff says
This sounds so yummy! I love a good apple sauce cake, so I bet I’d really like this one!
Charles C says
Made the cake this morning. Love recipes that start with a boxed mix and go from there. Wondered about the frosting but went ahead anyway. A bit complex but well worth the time and effort. Was out of vanilla extract (horrors!) used maple instead. I think even better.
Dana DeVolk says
OOOOH, I love that idea! I’m going to try maple next, thanks so much!