Easy Grilled Asparagus Recipe, made with 5 simple ingredients and ready in under 15 minutes!
Grilled asparagus is a favorite side dish in our house. Asparagus, in general, is one of our all-time favorite vegetables.
It is so versatile, you can grill it, boil it, saute it, roast it, add it to salads raw, or mix it in stir-frys, the possibilities are endless!
But, to me, there is nothing like grilling asparagus. The grill adds an extra dimension of flavor that you just can’t get any other way.
My ABSOLUTE favorite way to grill it is over charcoal with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. However, a regular gas grill will do just fine!
There is just something about that smoke from the coals that adds an extra pop! Anytime we are cooking something on the charcoal grill, I automatically make this asparagus alongside it.
It’s an obsession… I know.
A little tip, I blanch the asparagus first before grilling. Balancing allows the asparagus to cook halfway through, so it doesn’t have to stay on the grill for too long.
I have noticed that if you place asparagus on the grill raw, it can dry out easily.
Following the method in this recipe, you will have juicy, vibrant green asparagus every time!
We love to serve grilled asparagus with Rib Eye Steaks (the best steak marinade ever!)
Alternatives and Add-Ons:
You can definitely add additional seasonings on to the asparagus before grilling. I suggest crushed red pepper flakes or chipotle powder.
Or, add another pop of flavor when it comes off the grill. A fresh squeeze of lemon juice or a light brushing of toasted sesame oil and a few sesame seeds on top will make for the perfect Asian side dish!
This post may contain affiliate links.
The Best Grilled Asparagus Recipe Directions:
- Trim off the woody ends of the asparagus, about two inches from the bottom.
- Bring water to a boil, lower heat to a simmer. Add the asparagus and simmer for four minutes. Drain.
- If you are planning on grilling the asparagus right away, transfer them to a plate. Season with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Toss to coat.
- Prepare the grill, grill over medium heat until tender, 5-8 minutes, turning every couple minutes for an even char.
Tips for Turning this into a Make-Ahead Recipe:
- Prepare the asparagus the same way, cutting off the ends and simmering it in water for 4 minutes, drain.
- Prepare a large bowl with 1-quart water and 1-quart ice. Immediately place the asparagus into the ice water to shock it. This will completely stop the cooking process.
- Drain and set aside until ready to grill.
- The blanched asparagus can be stored in the fridge for up to one day before grilling.
Tools used for this recipe:
- Chef’s Knife, for trimming the ends
- Large saucepot for blanching
- I like to use tongs for handling the asparagus
- Collander for straining
More yummy grilled vegetable recipes from my favorite bloggers:
- Grilled Kale Salad with Strawberries
- Bourbon Maple Grilled Acorn Squash
- Grilled Artichokes
- Grilled Brussel Sprouts
- Grilled Sesame Bok Choy
- Grilled Three Cheese Zucchini Rounds
- 1 pound asparagus 2 inches of the ends removed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cracks fresh black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Fill a large saucepot with about 3 inches of water. Cover, bring to a boil. Uncover, reduce heat to medium-low to a simmer. Add the asparagus. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain.
If you are grilling right away
- Transfer asparagus to a plate. Season with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Toss to coat. Grill over medium heat until tender, 5-8 minutes. Turning every couple minutes for an even char.
If you are making ahead
- In a large bowl, add 1-quart water and 1-quart ice. Place drained asparagus into ice water to shock it. Once cold, drain again. Set aside until ready to grill. Or, the blanched asparagus can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to one day before grilling.