Warm Grilled Potato Salad, tender baby yellow basted in a tangy pesto marinade and grilled! Delicious served warm or cold and the perfect mayo-alternative!
Happy Sunday, friends! I know it is a little different that I post on the weekend, but I just had to share this recipe with you all!
Truth be told, I have another ah-mazing grilled recipe going up tomorrow that accompanies this dish. I thought you would like to see both back to back!
Okay, I’m a potato salad fiend. I love a traditional, heavy, loaded with mayo potato salad. Gimme.
But, sometimes during the summer, you just need something more light. Especially at cookouts or parties, having a mayonnaise based potato salad just sit out can get icky. Even if it is on ice, it can just be a pain in the butt.
With today’s potato salad recipe, it is perfect served hot, cold or room temperature. You really can’t go wrong.
What really sets this potato salad apart is the “marinade” I use on the potatoes. One bite and you will know exactly what I mean. This is by far the most flavorful potato salad you will ever try.
I loosely call it a pesto marinade. Pesto is in it but it’s not the overall flavor that you might think. It is so bright and popping with freshness!
Pro tip: Don’t want to go outside in the heat just to grill up some potatoes? Use a grill pan inside. Boom. Done.
- 1½ pounds small yellow potatoes (you can find these in a small bag at the grocery store)
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced fine (or micro-planed)
- 1½ teaspoon olive oil
- 1½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- cracked pepper to taste
- 1 heaping teaspoon prepared pesto
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Rinse potatoes and place in a medium-sized pot. Fill with cold water to cover the potatoes. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil, reduce to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are fully cooked about 20 minutes. When pierced with a fork there will be no resistance. Drain potatoes. Set aside and let cool to the touch.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the vinegar, garlic, olive oil, Dijon, sugar, salt, pepper, and pesto until combined.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Add potatoes to the bowl with the marinade. Toss to coat.
- Grill potatoes over high heat until grill marks form. This is a fast process so watch closely. If you find the potatoes are too small for the grill, you can skewer them ahead of time.
- Once potatoes are grilled, place them back into the bowl with the marinade and toss to coat in any additional marinade that is left. Add butter and toss to coat. Taste, adjust seasoning if needed.
Be careful, this potato salad is addictive!
What about you? Do you like to stick to the traditional, or do you like to mayo-alternative potato salads like this one?
Order My Cookbook!