This pistachio lush cake recipe is sponsored by iHerb, all opinions are 100% my own. Affiliate links used throughout the post.
Pistachio Lush Cake is layered with a crunchy and buttery pistachio crust, a smooth, pistachio cream cheese center, and a creamy, sweet whipped topping.
This easy and delicious recipe is one that everyone should have on hand in their cooking arsenal!
Before getting into this AH-MAZING lush cake recipe, I want to give a little shout to my favorite online grocery store, iHerb.
They have tons of everyday products mixed with specialty ingredients, I love just browsing the site, you never know what might pop up!
I saw this yummy Wilderness Poets, Organic Raw Pistachio Butter on the site and I just knew I had to try it. And you know, I can’t just smear it on toast, I have to BAKE with it, lol!
Made with just pistachios, olive oil, and salt, this butter is SO good.
A few other things I picked up for my pistachio lush cake was some Wholesome organic cane sugar, Simply Organic Madagascar Vanilla, and roasted shelled organic pistachios from Eden Foods.
I love using organic products like these whenever I get the chance. Luckily shopping on iHerb, finding organic items is a breeze!
Get a discount off your order on iHerb by clicking here or any link in this post, no minimum purchase required!
What I love about iHerb:
- Shopping on iHerb is super simple, you can search for ingredients or browse by categories. Plus, with over 30,000 natural products, there is something everyone will like, they even ship to 150 countries!
- Don’t worry about ordering in the middle of summer, iHerb’s distribution centers are climate-controlled, ensuring the quality of their products.
- If there is ever a question you have or an issue, they offer 24/7 customer service in 10 different languages!
I loved all the products I received in my grocery haul, but the pistachio butter and whole pistachios were definitely the star ingredients, yum! I had to stop myself from eating all the Eden Foods roasted pistachios before baking, eek!
What are pistachios?
Pistachios are actually a member of the cashew family, believe it or not! Like cashews, they have an almost-creamy texture with a delicate and luxurious flavor that makes this Pistachio Lush Cake a truly divine dessert.
Pistachios are a delicious and healthy nut that is great for baking and commonly used in Italian cooking, such as pasta sauces and sweet dishes like baklava.
You may have even tried pistachio ice cream or muffins before!
Pistachios are also LOADED with vitamins and minerals, so you can give yourself a pat on the back for including something nutritious in your dessert!
With the tender crust, creamy middle layer, and crunch of pistachios sprinkled on top, this Pistachio Lush Cake is textural paradise.
I’ve incorporated the subtly sweet and buttery taste of pistachios in all three layers of this cake to round out the flavor.
It’s almost like a pistachio cream pie in layered form and looks just as good as it tastes.
My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Why This Recipe Works
- The layers are easy to put together.
- It’s rich with flavor without weighing you down.
- It’s great for Christmas, Easter, St. Patty’s Day, or any old day of the year!
- Making it ahead of time will allow the layers to set nicely
- It’s not overly sweet, there is a mix of salt, sweet, crunchy, creamy, overall goodness.
The recipe for Pistachio Lush Cake is near the bottom of this page, just above the comments, but you may not want to miss the following tips for making this heavenly cake!
TO MAKE PISTACHIO LUSH CAKE YOU’LL NEED:
- 8×8 baking pan
- Large bowl
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
What kind of pistachios are best for my Pistachio Lush Cake?
I prefer salted, but it’s up to you; the salt will add a little extra flavor without overpowering the sweetness of this dessert.
Nuts are usually roasted to bring out their flavor and aroma, so that works best for this recipe, but it will still be absolutely amazing with raw or unsalted pistachios.
HOW TO CRUSH YOUR PISTACHIOS
Crushing your pistachios takes about two minutes using my tried-and-true crushing method:
- Pour the pistachios into a ziplock bag and seal it.
- Get a firm grip on a rolling pin, meat tenderizer, or any other heavy-ish object with a handle, and
- Go. To. Town.
- It should only take a few good whacks to get your desired size; it’s best as chunks, not fine dust.
- Now, not only do you now have perfectly-crushed nuts, but you’ve let off some steam!
Tips & Tricks
- The pistachio butter is essential for the crust, order it directly from iHerb here!
- If you aren’t sure what to do with your leftover pistachios after making this recipe, try sprinkling them on a salad, stirring them into a pasta dish (you will love the chewy crunch!) or simply eating them by the handful for a vitamin-packed snack!
How to store pistachio lush cake
Be sure to keep this in the refrigerator to preserve the texture of the cream cheese and whipping cream. Make sure to eat it within 5 days.
You can also freeze it by wrapping it in individual pieces in foil, placing it in a freezer-safe plastic bag and popping it in the freezer. If stored properly, this lush cake will last 3 months.
That is if there are even any leftovers!
Along with the items used for the lush cake, I picked up some more products I was wanting to try or was running low on.
I’ve never tried this brownie brittle, spoiler alert: it’s amazing.
More info on my mini haul:
- Sheila G’s Chocolate Chip Brownie Brittle, my new favorite chocolate snack, so good!
- Frontier Natural Products Almond Flavoring, I was running out of almond extract and love to use it in my fall baking so I picked this up to try. It smells amazing!
- Frontier Natural Products Pumpkin Pie Spice, again… baking time. Aren’t Frontier Natural Products labels so cute!?
- Gaea Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil, I normally use Italian olive oil and I’m excited to give this Greek olive oil a try.
- Walden Farms Apple Butter Fruit Spread, I LOVE apple butter and wanted to give this no calorie version a try!
I highly suggest checking out iHerb and picking up some items for yourself!
If you loved this Pistachio Lush Cake recipe then share it on Facebook and Pinterest and leave a five-star review! Follow me over on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK to find some more of our mouthwatering recipes!
How to make Pistachio Lush Cake
Pistachio Lush Cake
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter room temp
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract Simply Organic Madagascar Vanilla
- 2 tablespoons pistachio butter Wilderness Poets Organic Raw Pistachio Butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons crushed pistachios Eden Foods Shelled and Dry Roasted Pistachios
Pistachio Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3.4 ounces instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray, set aside. In a large bowl add the butter, sugar, vanilla, and pistachio butter. With a hand mixer or stand mixer, mix until combined and smooth.
- Add in the flour a little at a time until well mixed in. Add in the crushed pistachios and mix in. Using slightly wet hands, press the crust into the pan in an even layer. Dock the crust all over with a fork. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown, let cool completely.
Pistachio Cream Cheese Layer
- While the crust is cooling, make the filling layer by placing the cream cheese in a large bowl and with a hand mixer or stand mixer, whip until smooth with no lumps, about 1 minute. Add in the pudding mix and whip to combine. Add the heavy cream in two batches, mixing on low speed until combined. Smooth this mixture on top of the crust.
Whipped Cream Topping
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer, whip the heavy cream along with the vanilla and powdered sugar over medium speed until medium peaks form. Spread this on top of the pudding mixture. Top with the crushed pistachios. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours to set. Cut, serve, enjoy!