Fried Red Potato Wedges, only 3 ingredients and ready in under 15 minutes!
Fried Red Potato Wedges are a staple in our house. They are just so simple to make and a yummy side, so you just can’t go wrong!
Anytime that I bust out the deep fryer I want to get as much bang out of my time as I can. Let’s get real if I’m going to fry something… I’m going to go all out.
But, there is something about red potatoes I just love. They are more creamy and their tender skin makes them so easy to work with!
Every time I cook with a potato with a tender skin I never peel them. Why should I? The skins are yummy and the less time I have to spend prepping the better!
Fried Red Potato Wedges Directions:
- Wash potatoes thoroughly. Cut into wedges and soak in water until ready to use.
- Preheat deep fryer to 320 degrees. Drain potatoes and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Fry for 10 minutes at 320 degrees. Let drain on a wired rack over a sheet tray.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees. Fry again for 2-3 minutes until crispy.
- Season with kosher salt and season salt, enjoy!
Why do you double fry the wedges?
Just like regular fries, these wedges need to be cooked twice.
The first fry ensures that the potatoes are cooked through. The second fry crisps the outside, this makes a creamy interior with a crispy outside. Perfection.
This post may contain affiliate links.
I don’t have a deep fryer, is there an alternate cooking method?
You don’t have to own a deep fryer to make this recipe, I just prefer to use one. You can also get a heavy bottom pan with tall sides and make them right on the stove top.
Make sure there is enough oil in the pan to totally cover the potatoes. I also recommend using a thermometer to control the temperature of the oil.
Which fryer do you recommend?
I use this one every week and I’m in love with it!
Tools used for this recipe:
- Chef’s knife, every kitchen needs one!
- Non-Slip Cutting board, I use some similar to these.
- Deep Fryer, my new favorite thing!
- Wired Rack, perfect for draining these potatoes, plus I use them all the time to cool baked goods. A true multi-tasker.
- Sheet tray to collect any excess oil.
- Thermometer to control the oil temperature if you are not using a deep fryer.
More yummy red potato recipes:
- Creamy Parmesan Red Potatoes
- Paprika Sour Cream Red Potato Salad
- Garlic Herbed Skillet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Garlic Dill Mashed Potatoes
Fried Red Potato Wedges (15 minutes!)
- 2 pounds medium to large size red potatoes
- season salt to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- peanut oil for frying or your preferred frying oil
- Preheat deep fryer or oil to 320 degrees.
- Cut potatoes into wedges and place into cold water until ready to fry. Drain potatoes and dry thoroughly with a clean kitchen towel. Fry for 10 minutes. Drain on a wire rack over a sheet tray to let excess oil drip off.
- Turn frying oil up to 375 degrees. Fry potatoes again for 2-3 minutes until crispy. Drain on a wired rack.
- Generously season with season salt and kosher salt to taste immediately after removing potatoes from the oil. Toss to coat in the seasoning.
Order My Cookbook!