Zucchini Rice Casserole, a decadent small batch recipe for a creamy, comforting side dish!
Zucchini Rice Casserole is a side dish I make a lot. It is just like broccoli rice casserole except, in place of the broccoli I’ve used both zucchini and yellow squash.
The base for this recipe is a basic creamy cheese sauce with the rice. It is really the perfect recipe to incorporate your favorite veggies into!
I made this recipe by chance because I had an abundance of squash and zucchini on hand, so I thought, why not! And, since then I have made it multiple times!
I’m just a sucker for zucchini in general… and rice. And cheese. AND cheese sauce, so there’s that.
This post may contain affiliate links.
It’s just Jeremy and me so I tend to make smaller dishes like this one. This recipe is perfect for one, two, or a few!
Just like my cookbook, The Cozy Table. Full of small batch comfort food recipes!
Zucchini Rice Casserole Directions:
- Cook rice first, or use leftover cooked white rice like I do!
- Sautee zucchini and squash. Set aside.
- Make creamy dreamy cheese sauce.
- Mix everything together, pour into a greased baking dish.
- Top with more cheese! Bake until bubbly, serve and enjoy!
Alternatives and Add-Ons:
I normally make this a day after I’ve made rice for another dish. I always seem to make more than we need.
So, this is the perfect recipe to use up leftover rice. Like, all that extra white rice from Chinese takeout!
Feel free to use whatever veggies you like in place of the zucchini and squash, or leave out the veggies all together! Experiment with different melty cheeses as well.
You can even substitute brown rice or orzo in place of the white rice.
This would be the perfect dish for a small family get together or if you are making a holiday meal for just a few people.
Tools used for this recipe:
- Chef’s knife, kitchen essential.
- Cutting board, I love these nonslip kinds.
- Small pot to cook the rice, if needed.
- Medium sized pot to saute the veggies and make the dreamy creamy cheese sauce.
- Small baking dish, 5 -inch square
I don’t have cooked rice on hand, how do I cook rice for this recipe?
You will need one cup water and 1/2 cup white rice.
Place the water into a small pot, cover and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.
Turn off the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
More cheesy rice casseroles from my favorite bloggers:
Zucchini Rice Casserole
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1/4 cup onion small dice
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini 1/2 inch dice, or use a mix of zucchini and yellow squash
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 cracks fresh black pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley fine chop
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar and Monterey jack blend
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 5-inch baking dish, set aside.
Melt one tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat, add the onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the zucchini and cook until slightly golden brown, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
In a small pot, add the remaining butter and melt over medium heat. Add the flour and dried spices, salt, and pepper whisk to combine, let cook one minute.
Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat, add the cheddar and stir until combined and smooth. Mix cheese sauce with the cooked rice, half of the parsley, and the zucchini mixture until combined. Pour into prepared baking dish.
Top with the shredded cheddar and Monterey jack blended cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbly. Garnish with remaining parsley, optional.
Order My Cookbook!