Cucumber Salad, bright, refreshing and perfect for summer with red onions and ripe tomatoes!
A colorful side dish that goes with any meal. Cucumber salad is especially great for cookouts!
I have always loved these types of vinegar salads. They are acidic, slightly sweet and so crisp!
This tomato, cucumber and onion salad just screams summer to me. It is the perfect side to any menu.
Also, it is great on its own as a snack or even added to a larger salad with greens.
That’s how I have been eating it for lunch lately, in a large salad with romaine and other goodies. The best part, you don’t even need any other dressing, the brightness from it is enough. Talk about one healthy salad!
As you know, I am often on “diets”. I guess it just comes with the territory of working with food every day, amirite??
So, adding something healthy to a salad instead of creamy dressing like this vibrant cucumber and onion salad really helps to add TONS of flavor without those extra calories.
How to make creamy cucumber and onion salad
Of course, if you did want to add another layer of flavor and creaminess to this salad, by all means, you can! Just drain a portion of the salad that you want to eat, toss it with a little mayo (or creamy Italian dressing!!) and you are in creamy cucumber salad business!
Yum! I used grape tomatoes for this, I really think small tomatoes work best for these salads. They hold up a lot better than dicing a steak or Roma tomato.
How long does cucumber salad last?
Cucumber salad is very hearty and basically what we are doing in this recipe is called a “quick pickle” (pickled cucumber). So, we are pickling the vegetables and naturally, that makes anything last longer.
Keeping this cucumber salad in the fridge in an airtight container is key. It will last a week in the fridge. However, if the tomatoes are excluded it will last longer, up to three weeks.
I have noticed the tomatoes wilting before the cucumber and onions. So, it’s really your call if you want to make this with or without the tomatoes, depending on how long you need it to keep for.
Can cucumber salad be made ahead?
Absolutely, like stated above, this cucumber salad can last up to three weeks without tomatoes. If you are making it as-is I suggest not making this any more than a week ahead.
How do you make cucumber salad?
- First, we make our pickling liquid consisting of apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, and salt. We dissolve this mixture on the stovetop. Add ice to make the liquid come back down to room temperature.
- Them, slice and dice our veggies. Pour the liquid on top and let it sit.
- It needs to sit for at least one hour before serving. However, the longer it sits the better it gets! I make this the day before.
That’s it! Amazingly easy.
What vinegar for cucumber salad?
This recipe calls for apple cider vinegar. I have made it with white distilled vinegar and it was still good but, I feel like apple cider isn’t quite as harsh
This is pretty acidic as these salads tend to be, it is almost as if the veggies are being pickled. I love it, personally. I think the sugar balances it out well.
However, if you find it too harsh, add some more water or use just half of the vinegar.
What goes with cucumber salad?
With a bright salad like this, I love to pair it with a dish that is more decadent like fried fish or southern fried chicken. It is also an all-around summer staple around here so anything grilled; grilled shrimp, steak kabobs, or grilled chicken wings!
How to make cucumber salad
Tomato, Cucumber and Onion Salad
- 1 Cup Apple CIder Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup ice water fill 1/2 cup measure with ice, then add water to fill
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber
- 1/4 red onion
- kosher salt to taste
- Place vinegar and sugar in a small saucepot. Bring to simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved, set aside. Add the garlic and ice water.
- Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise and place in large bowl.
- Using a mandolin (or thinly slice by hand) slice the cucumber and onion. Place in a bowl with tomatoes, mix together.
- Add vinegar mixture and place in refrigerator for at least an hour. Stirring every 20 minutes or so. Serve and enjoy!