Loaded with ground sausage and chock full of delicious flavors, dirty rice is one recipe you would definitely want to try making! This Dirty rice recipe is a yummy side or main dish your whole family will love!
When I think of sausage and rice recipes, immediately dirty rice comes to mind. If you need to use up any leftover sausage this ground sausage and rice recipe is for you!
If you read my post for Brown Sugar Brined Grilled Pork Chops, I know you have been waiting patiently for the dirty rice recipe I mentioned!
To be honest… this one pot dirty rice was the star of that meal! It is so loaded with flavor and sausage that it could be a meal on its own!
I loved mixing in some collards and a chunk of cornbread while eating this rice, yuuum!
What is dirty rice really ?
I know you have asked yourself what is in dirty rice? Traditionally, dirty rice is made with roux and chicken livers.
In this sausage dirty rice recipe, I have replaced the chicken livers with ground pork sausage. The sausage helps to add flavor to the rice along with a quick roux.
Some people would call this a not-so-dirty rice because there are no chicken livers in it. And, I’m okay with that!
I just love the spices in all sausage in general. They are so flavorful and versatile!
I love to cook with sausage when I can and I try to come up with new pork sausage recipes.
Is dirty rice spicy?
Most dirty rice recipes I have eaten out are very spicy. That is all dependent on your taste.
For my cajun dirty recipe below I have made it non-spicy. But if you love a kick to your dirty rice, Here are a few options to add heat:
- Purchase a pork sausage that is spicy already.
- Add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the sausage. You can do that in step #2 below in the recipe when you add the ground cumin and paprika.
- Add hot sauce to taste while serving.
If you are looking for ground sausage recipes, look no further. This is the perfect way to use up any leftover ground sausage!
Now, when you read through the recipe it might look just a touch complicated. Believe me, it’s not.
You have to make a quick medium dark roux as part of the sauce for the rice but don’t be intimated, it’s actually extremely easy!
How to make dirty rice recipe from scratch?
- First, you need 3 cups of cooked rice. If you need help making cooked rice, please read my tips below!
- In a small saucepot over medium heat, add butter and flour. Whisk constantly until medium brown. Take off the heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add the ground pork sausage and crumble it in the pan. Add the spices and mix to combine. Brown sausage, getting as much of a sear on it as you can.
- Add garlic and mix into the sausage mix until fragrant, about one minute.
- Deglaze the pan with chicken stock. Add the roux to the pan, mix to combine. Cook mixture for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the pan starts to get dry, add the remaining chicken stock a little at a time.
- Deglaze the bottom of the pan with whatever leftover stock you have. Scrape the bottom of the pan good to get all the browned bits off, this is all that flavor!
- Add the rice to the skillet and mix everything to combine. Garnish with scallions, optional.
How to make white rice?
All white rice cooks the same. It is extremely easy to make if you follow these steps.
- When making white rice you need one part rice to two parts water (or any liquid, like stock). For example, the most common amount of rice to make is 1 cup dry white rice with 2 cups of water. This amount of dry rice will make 3 cups of cooked white rice.
- In a saucepot with lid, add the water and bring to a boil. Add the rice to the boiling water and stir with a spoon twice around the pot.
- Cover with the lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes. Do NOT take the lid off the pot, this is how the rice cooks and the steam needs to keep in the pot.
- When the timer goes off, take the rice off the heat, leaving the top on. Let sit 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and serve. Easy!
This is my new favorite rice dish, ground sausage recipes are some of my most favorite to make! What would you serve with it??
More yummy sausage and rice recipes:
- Sausage and Veggie Rice Bowls
- 30 Minute Indian Pulao Rice
- Polska Kielbasa Casserole with Peas and Rice
How to make Homemade Dirty Rice
Sausage Dirty Rice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cracks fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup chicken stock divided
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 2 scallions thinly sliced for garnish, optional
- Start by making the roux, place the flour and the butter into a small skillet over medium heat and whisk together. Continue to whisk until mixture turns to a medium to dark brown, about 5 minutes, set aside off heat.
- Over medium heat, place a dutch oven or thick-bottomed skillet. Allow to get hot and add the sausage, cumin, pepper, and paprika. Get a hard sear on the sausage, mixing it with the spices and letting it get browned and bits will stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup of the stock, scraping off all the browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the garlic and mix in until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the roux. Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for 10 minutes, adding in the rest of the stock slowly so the mixture doesn't completely dry out. Stir occasionally.
- Add the rice, stir to combine everything, serve with scallion garnish, optional.
This post was updated on 5/8/2018 with new photos, video, and slight recipe update.
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Dip - October 23, 2020
- Chocolate Chip Muffins - October 21, 2020
- The Best Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe (Stovetop and Oven Directions) - October 19, 2020