Sausage Dirty Rice, a not-so-dirty rice recipe spin on a classic, loaded with sausage and tons of flavor!
If you read last week’s post for Brown Sugar Brined Grilled Pork Chops, I know you have been waiting patiently for the dirty rice recipe I mentioned!
To be honest… this rice was the star of that meal! It is so loaded with flavor and sausage that it could be a meal on its own! I loved mixing in some collards and a chunk of cornbread while eating this rice, yuuum!
Now, when you read through the recipe it might look just a touch complicated. Believe me, it’s not. You have to make a quick dark roux as part of sauce for the rice but don’t be intimated, it’s actually extremely easy!
Sausage Dirty Rice
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter unsalted, divided
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cracks fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup chicken stock divided
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 2 scallions thinly sliced for garnish, optional
- Start by making the roux, place the flour and half the butter into a small skillet over medium heat and whisk together. Continue to whisk until mixture turns to a medium to dark brown, about 5 minutes, set aside off heat.
- Over medium heat, place a dutch oven or thick-bottomed skillet. Allow to get hot and add the sausage, cumin, pepper, and paprika. Get a hard sear on the sausage, mixing it with the spices and letting it get browned and bits will stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup of the stock, scraping off all the browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add in the garlic and roux. Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for 10 minutes, adding in the rest of the stock slowly so the mixture doesn't completely dry out. Stir occasionally.
- Add in the rice and butter, stir to combine everything, serve with scallion garnish, optional.
This is my new favorite rice dish! What would you serve with it??
Order My Cookbook!