Italian Cheese Scalloped Zucchini
Hi there! It’s Shannon from Cozy Country Living! I hope you are having a great summer. This past week my garden has been growing like crazy! I love coming into the house with handfuls and baskets full of fresh fruits and vegetables. There’s nothing like growing your own food. If you grow zucchini like I do, you know how plentiful it can be. Every single day this week I have picked zucchini and it doesn’t look like there is any end in sight. As long as I have a bunch of great zucchini recipes on hand, I will just keep on picking, cooking and baking with my wonderful harvest!
The other afternoon, I was contemplating what to make for dinner. I had a meal planned, but I didn’t feel like it. I felt like using up some of the zucchini I had sitting on my kitchen counter. I’ll admit, my family’s favorite way to use zucchini is in muffins or bread. It’s sweet, moist and just delicious. I wanted to incorporate this great vegetable into our dinners though. Zucchini and cheese…hmm…I figured I couldn’t go wrong here!
This Italian Cheese Scalloped Zucchini is a wonderful way to use some of the fresh zucchini from your garden.
A generous amount of shredded Italian Blend Cheese is melted into a creamy sauce, poured over layers of fresh, sliced zucchini (I added a summer squash too!) and topped again with grated cheese and baked until bubbly.
Want those beautiful, dark , crisp and blistered cheese spots on top of this dish? Simply place the casserole dish under the broiler for a few minutes! Yum!
I like to serve this Cheesy Scalloped Zucchini with pasta covered in tomato sauce and a fresh salad. It’s a really simple dinner any night of the week and can be on your table in a half an hour or so!
Do you have zucchini coming out of your ears? What’s your favorite way to use it?
Italian Cheese Scalloped Zucchini
- 3 large zucchini or 2 with 1 yellow squash
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded Italian Blend Cheese divided
- garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking or casserole dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Slice your zucchini into 1/4 inch slices, they don’t have to be perfect:)
- Layer the bottom of the casserole dish with half of the sliced zucchini.
- Season the layer of zucchini with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter on low, then add the flour.
- Whisk together until incorporated and golden brown.
- Slowly add the milk and continue whisking until smooth and thickened.
- When it’s smooth, add 1 cup of the cheese and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from the heat.
- Pour half of the cheese sauce across the first layer of zucchini.
- Place the remaining zucchini on top of the sauce and make your second layer.
- Season that layer well with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Cover with remaining sauce and top with the other 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes.
- To get those nice golden brown spots on the cheese, place the zucchini under the broiler for a few minutes, but watch closely being careful to not let it burn.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm. Enjoy!
You May Also Enjoy These Recipes:
Connect with Shannon here:
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | Google+ | Bloglovin’
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER.
Get my latest recipes goodies straight to your inbox!
I hate Spam as much as you do so, No Spam I promise!
Comments & Reviews
This looks delish! I’ve been experimenting with summer squash over the past few weeks and have come up with a few new dishes to use up the abundance. Adding this to the list! Thanks!
How funny, just tonight I made scalloped potatoes and said to myself gosh, wonder if I could have made this healthier by making it with zucchini….then I came across this! Will be trying ASAP!
This looks so amazing, Dana! I would eat it as a main course over some brown rice or quinoa with a fresh salad on the side. Yum!
Thank you for this! I am always looking for new zucchini recipes to use up the huge homegrown zucchini’s my daughter gives me! Pinned!
These look incredible! Will be making this tomorrow for sure. Pinned! Thank you
I love zucchini and squash and this looks so yummy. I have some in my fridge right now, so I know what I am making for dinner.
Thanks for the recipe,
Oh wow! That looks so yummy! I am pinning and going to try it very soon!
Andrea @ This Pug Life says
Plentiful is a nice way to put it. One can start to loathe the sight of zucchini during peak harvest time. This looks delicious though. Everything is better with cheese!
the cape on the corner says
that looks delicious!
Gaye @CalmHealthySexy says
Hi Dana and Shannon – This looks so good. Thanks so much for sharing with the Let’s Get Real Party. I’m pinning it to our group board.
We are starting a Facebook group for Let’s Get Real bloggers as a place where we can get to know each other a bit better and support each other’s blogs. We would love to have you join. If you’re interested, please send the email address for your personal FB page (we aren’t able to add people from their blog pages) to me at gc @ calmhealthysexy.com and I will send you an invitation to the group.
kathy Casares says
I wonder can I sub the flour for Almond flour or coconut flour?
Km Koesler says
This looks fantastic. I have one question though. Does the zucchini not make a lot of water when it cooks? Does it make the sauce liquidy or does it evaporate out?
Made this today and found it to be simple and delicious! My picky teenager even had some and loved it!