Welcome back to the chicken series! Last week I shared a staple… pasta! This week I wanted to showcase another go-to dinner but by giving it a little twist you will really wow your taste buds! Everyone loves classic fried chicken, my homemade chicken tenders can attest to that but by using items you already have in your pantry you get this new unique breading, croutons!
Crouton Fried Chicken
I’m serious when I say you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry already. I made up this recipe the other day when trying to think of a unique dinner. I was going through all the items in my fridge and dry storage and voila! I had these leftover croutons from a previous dinner and I needed to use them up. I will now be finding an excuse to have left over croutons just so I can make this recipe!
Crouton Fried Chicken
- 1/2 Cup croutons turned into crumbs (any flavor, I used garlic & butter)
- 1/2 Cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large chicken breast boneless, skinless cut in 1 1/2 inch strips
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 Tbls all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up two inches of vegetable oil in the bottom of a deep sided skillet over medium heat. Place chicken strips in a zip lock gallon sized bag. Add in half of the paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Close bag and massage spices into chicken. Add in flour and mix until chicken is coated.
- In a bowl, crack eggs and whisk. On a plate place the breadcrumbs, the crouton crumbs (pulverize the croutons in a blender or crush them in a zip lock bag), the rest of the paprika and mix to combine.
- Using a tongs, place the chicken strips into the egg, shaking off any excess flour first. Coat in the egg and then place that into the crouton mixture and press chicken into it. Make sure it is coated on all sides. Place this into the heated oil, let brown on one side and then flip over. Chicken is done when the internal temperature is 165 degrees. Place on a wire rack over a cookie sheet or pan to let excess oil drip off. (If you find your chicken crust is getting browned but not done on the inside you can place the chicken pieces in a heated 350 degree oven to finish cooking.)
- Serve as is or with your favorite dipping sauce, enjoy!
Step by Step Directions
Super easy, and you can mix up the flavors with different croutons! I hope you enjoyed this recipe and will be back next Tuesday to see what chicken dish I’ve cooked up! What’s your favorite crouton flavor??
Looking for more chicken recipes? Click on the images below to be taken to the recipes!
Need even more yummy inspiration? Follow my food board on Pinterest!