YAY, more cupcakes! I really hope you aren’t sick of these yet cause I am constantly coming up with new cupcakes ideas! These particular cupcakes are extra special because they bring me straight back to my childhood. When I was younger (and still to this day really..) I wasn’t much of a breakfast eater. I don’t like eggs, so basically everything on a normal breakfast menu is out for me. BUT, every once in a while my Mom would surprise me with cinnamon sugar toast that I just went nuts over. It’s that flavor combo that came to my mind when thinking up these cuties! Yellow cake studded with cinnamon chips, brushed with butter and rolled in cinnamon sugar, topped with the BEST cream frosting and you have these amazing cinnamon sugar cupcakes!
Cinnamon Sugar Cupcakes
When I told Jeremy I was going to make these he was a little skeptical. To be honest, he is often skeptical when I’m coming up with new ideas but he knows I have to keep the blog fresh and loves being my guinea pig!
Cinnamon Sugar Cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix plus ingredients on box
- 1 Cup cinnamon chips
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Tbls ground cinnamon
- 1 stick unsalted butter room temp
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 Cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven and make cake mix to directions on the back of the box. Leaving about 1 tablespoon of the dry cake mix in the bag. Put cinnamon chips in the bag with the dry cake mix. Mix until chips are coated. This helps to evenly distribute chips in the batter, otherwise they might all fall to the bottom of the cupcakes when baking. Add cinnamon chips to the batter and stir with spoon to combine.
- Fill cupcake liners per directions on the back of box. Bake per directions. Let cupcakes cool on wire rack in cupcake tin for about 5 minutes. Take out of cupcakes tin and let cool on wire rack until easily handled.
- Mix the granulated sugar and 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon in a bowl, set aside. Using the softened butter that will make the frosting, take a brush and brush the tops of the cupcakes with the butter. Not a lot, just enough to moisten the tops like in the picture. Dip cupcake tops into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Let cupcakes cool completely.
- Make frosting while cupcakes cool. Mix the cream cheese and butter with hand mixer until smooth. Add in the cinnamon and vanilla, mix to combine. Add in the powdered sugar 1/2 Cup at a time until full incorporated. Set aside until ready to frost.
- Top cupcakes with frosting, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture and sprinkles if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Step by Step Directions
The sprinkles of course are optional but they give the slightest crunch to the top which I really enjoy.
This is definitely one cupcake recipe you will keep going back to, you could almost eat them for breakfast! Hey, I won’t judge…. I might of had one with my coffee a few morning in a row… ahem.
What do you think, is cinnamon sugar a favorite flavor combo for you too?
Looking for recipes similar to this? Check out the posts below:
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER.
Get my latest recipes goodies straight to your inbox!
I hate Spam as much as you do so, No Spam I promise!
Comments & Reviews
Melissa French, The More With Less Mom says
These are like coffee cake, only fancified cupcakes. Thanks for sharing on Let’s Get Real (I’m co-hosting this week)!
These look delicious and definitely worthy of being called breakfast food! I will definitely be trying this recipe!
Those look so delicious! I could definitely go for a cupcake right about now (but when couldn’t I?). Love anything sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. I’d be thrilled if you’d link up at this week’s Off the Hook!
It’s quite snack time here in Italy and I see these mouth-watering cupcakes…… how can I resist?!?!?!
Thanks for sharing the recipe! 🙂
Wow! Yum! These remind me of Mexican wedding cookies…but better! They look amazing, Dana!
These look delicious! It’s hard to beat cinnamon sugar! I love those cupcake wrappers too!
thanks for adding this to From the Farm! This was chosen as my favorite this week! they look so delicous!
Katherines Corner says
pass the milk please . Hugs P.S. I hope you will link this yumminess at my Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop♥
Lisa Ehrman says
Wow…..I’m getting so hungry looking at these beautiful cupcakes!
These look great, I particular like the spreading on the cinnamon and sugar before frosting!
Wow! These like amazing. I am bookmarking this and bringing this in to work soon!
Donna Barstow says
You made them look so pretty…etsy cupcakes!