Christmas Cookie Sandwiches, the fluffiest buttercream frosting sandwiched between two soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies loaded with holiday M&M’s!
Christmas Sandwich Cookies are what Santa has been dreaming about all year! The BEST chocolate chip cookies, I’m talking soft… chewy… with a crispy edge… just WOW.
Did I mention they are loaded with M&M’s? Oh yea, holiday M&M’s in fact.
But, that’s not all! As if these cookies couldn’t get more decadent I went and made them into sandwich cookies by piping THE BEST fluffy buttercream frosting between two.
Yes, I did that.
Yes, these are massive. But they can be easily made small or even bite sized!
I think having a big platter of these bite sized sandwich cookies would be a great addition to any holiday dessert table.
How do I make these Christmas cookies smaller or bite sized?
Easy! My recipe below calls for two heaping tablespoons of dough per cookie.
For a more manageable cookie instead of these massive ones, use one heaping tablespoon of batter. Keep in mind that they will take less time to cook, start checking them at the 10 minute mark.
To make them into bite sized sandwich cookies, just roll together two level teaspoons of dough. Easy peasy!
But, I think Santa will really appreciate the larger size!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Tips, Alternatives and Add-Ons:
- For a fluffier cookie, chill the dough for at least one hour before scooping out the dough balls. If you want to save time right before baking, you can form the dough balls first, place them on your lined cookie sheet and place it in the fridge to chill. Then, just pop them right into the oven when you are ready to bake!
- For a more crisper cookie, don’t chill the dough at all, just roll into dough balls and bake right away!
- Have fun with these cookies! Add additional elements like chopped pecans, crushed pretzels, or dip them in melted chocolate!
- If you don’t like M&M’s in your cookies you can just use more chocolate chips or add white chocolate chips to the mix.
- You can get even more creative by using different flavored M&M’s! Peanut butter, mint, or caramel filled would be AMAZING!
I just used my most basic vanilla buttercream recipe for the filling on these Christmas cookies. But, feel free to add any frosting or filling you like!
What kind of fillings can I use besides vanilla buttercream?
Christmas Cookie Sandwiches Directions:
- Mix cookie dough but creaming melted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together. Add vanilla and eggs and beat until fluffy.
- Mix in dry ingredients including sifted flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and holiday M&M’s by hand.
- Roll into balls and bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Pipe buttercream onto cookie bottoms, and add another cookie on top to make a sandwich.
- Leave out for Santa with a big glass of milk. Set up camera to catch him in action. Enjoy leftover cookies for breakfast Christmas morning.
The recipe for the cookies was adapted from AllRecipes.com
Tools used to make this recipe:
- Kitchen-aid Stand Mixer, great for making cookies, to bread dough, to buttercream!
- Hand Mixer, a great alternative to a stand mixer.
- Wooden spoon, to mix in all the chocolate goodies
- Sheet trays, to bake the cookies!
- Cooling rack to let the cookies cool completely.
- Piping bags, to pipe that delicious buttercream!
More yummy cookie sandwiches from my favorite bloggers:
Christmas Cookie Sandwiches
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup holiday M&M's or M&M's of your choice
- 1 recipe The best fluffy buttercream frosting optional
Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a stand mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until combined. Stir in the vanilla. Add the eggs and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Slowly add in the dry ingredinets until just combined, scrapping down the sides as needed.
Using a spoon, fold in the chocolate chips and M&M's by hand. Chill for 20 minutes in the fridge. (If you want fluffier cookies, chill for at least one hour.)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Taking a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop out two dough balls and roll them together to form a larger ball. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Make sure they are about 4 inches apart.
To make them extra pretty, press in a few M&M's and chocolate chips right on top of each cookie. Bake for 12-18 minutes until the edges are slightly golden brown. Let cool completely on the cookie sheet.
While cookies are baking, make the buttercream frosting or filling of your choice. Pipe frosting on the bottom of one cookie, top with another cookie, that's it!
Leave cookies out for Santa with a big glass of milk. Set up camera to catch him in action. Enjoy leftover cookies for breakfast Christmas morning.
Order My Cookbook!