Best Tomato Soup Recipe, a filling creamy soup slow cooked for hours and full of flavor! Made with tortellini and goat cheese, this is by far the best tomato soup recipe!
Best Tomato Soup Recipe
It’s getting closer and closer to fall, so all I can think about is a big bowl of something hot, filling and comforting.
Tomato soup is a classic. BUT, I wanted to give it some extra “umph!” and amp it up!
What makes this the Best Tomato Soup Recipe?
- Cooking it in the slow cooker for hours makes it super easy to just throw together and forget about it all day.
- The soup itself is super flavorful and creamy.
- I added tortellini to make it nice and hearty, perfect for any meal!
- The addition of goat cheese gives it an unexpected flavor that cannot be beaten!
Adding the bold flavor of goat cheese and the heartiness of cheese tortellini. makes it perfect for a weeknight dinner or easily reheated for lunches during the week!
When I finally tasted this yummy concoction, I went nuts! This is by far the best soup I have ever made!!
recipe adapted from Creme de la Crumb
I ate this for lunches during the week with crusty bread and I couldn’t have been happier!
How to make the Best Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe
- Place tomatoes, herbs, salt, garlic, chicken stock, and the half and half into a slow cooker. Stir to combine, cook on high 2-4 hours or low 4-8 hours, stirring every 30 minutes if possible.
- 45 minutes before serving, use a stick blender and blend until smooth.
- Make a roux on the stovetop by melting the butter in a medium skillet, add the flour and whisk until there are no lumps. Continue to whisk for 2 minutes, slowly add in the remaining half and half, continue to whisk until it comes to a simmer.
- Pour mixture into the slow cooker with the soup and stir to combine. Add the goat cheese and tortellini. Stir to mix everything in, cook an additional 30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and tortellini is cooked through.
I truly hope you try this recipe out! What’s your favorite soup to make in the slow cooker?!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Tools used to make the Best Tomato Soup Recipe
How to make the Best Tomato Soup Recipe
Best Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 28 oz can peeled tomatoes I suggest getting the San Marzano tomatoes when possible!
- 14 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbls Italian Herb Paste The kind in the grocery section, or fresh basil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 clove garlic smashed
- 4 Cups 32 oz box chicken stock
- 2 Cups half and half divided
- 3 Tbls butter
- 1/4 Cup all purpose flour
- 2 oz goat cheese plus more for garnish
- 9 oz fresh tortellini I used cheese, use what you like!
- Place the tomatoes, herb paste, salt, garlic, chicken stock, and 1 cup of the half and half into the slow cooker. Stir to combine, place on the lid and cook on high heat for 2-4 hours (4-8 hours on low). If you are home while this is cooking, stir every 30 minutes or so. 45 minutes before serving, use an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
- In a medium-sized skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and add in the flour. Whisk until there are no lumps and continue to cook while whisking for 2 minutes. Slowly, pour in the remaining half and half while whisking. Let come to a simmer while continuing to whisk. Place into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Add in the goat cheese and tortellini, stir to combine and cook for an additional 30 minutes, until the tortellini are cooked through and the cheese has melted.
- Serve with more goat cheese as a garnish if desired, enjoy!