I have no idea why but I have been on this loaf cake kick lately. I first made my chocolate chunk vanilla banana bread and then immediately went to work on today’s snack cake. I don’t know what it is but I just love having one around to just get a slice off of whenever I feel like it. Loaf cakes are alike a laid back version of a regular cake, no fuss! With the official first day of summer right around the corner I really wanted something light, fluffy and citrusy to have around for a quick snack. That’s how I came up with this fun lemon lime snack cake. It is similar to a pound cake in texture with a slight tartness from fresh squeezed lemons and limes, topped with a super thin lemon lime glaze. Perfect for serving with a tall glass of lemonade around the pool or how I eat it, hand held in one hand while I type away with the other!
Lemon Lime Snack Cake
My very favorite part of this loaf cake is the super thin glaze. It get nice and crunchy and just adds so much in my opinion. A light dusting of powdered sugar adds a nice extra touch but is definitely optional! The recipe for the cake batter was adapted from The Pastry Chef’s Baking. This recipe was also a guest post originally on Mom It Forward‘s blog and you can find the original post here.
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbls lemon/lime zest mixed
- 1½ C all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbls lemon/lime juice mixed, fresh squeezed
- ½ Cup plus 1½ Tbls milk
- ½ Cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbls lemon/lime juice mixed, fresh squeezed
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together the butter and granulated sugar for 8 minutes using a hand mixer or stand mixer. The result will be a light and fluffy mixture, light in color.
- Add in the egg and lemon zest, beat for another minute to fully combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine. Add in ⅓ of the flour mixture, beat until combined. Add in ½ of the milk, beat until combined. Add in another ⅓ of the flour, beat to combine. Add in the remaining milk plus the 1 Tbls lemon/lime juice, beat to combine. Add in the last of the flour and beat until fully combined. For each addition, beat for about one minute and scrap the bowl between additions. Batter should still be light and fluffy.
- Scrap batter into loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes, rotate the pan 180 degrees for even cooking and bake for a remaining 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Set cake in pan on wired rack and let cool for 20 minutes. Take out of pan and let cool on wire rack completely.
- While cake is cooling, mix the remaining ingredients together (except for the additional powdered sugar for garnish). Pour evenly on top of cake. Serve with a light dusting of powdered sugar and enjoy!
Step by Step Directions
Ahh, don’t you just love lemon/lime desserts? Especially this time of year they are just extra special to me. I really hoped you enjoyed today’s recipe! What your favorite citrus to use in baking?
Looking for more summery treats to make? Check out these recipes:
Available for preorder now:
Order My Cookbook!
Available for preorder now: