Lemon Lime Angel Food Cupcakes, light as air homemade angel food cake cupcakes and whipped frosting, flavored with lemon and lime zest!
Anyone else love angel food cake cupcakes?!Angel Food Cake Cupcakes
So, it’s technically still Summer.
But, here in blogger World, summer is about to be kicked to the curb and an onslaught of fall will be blowing up your computer screens any day now! So, I had to get (at least) on more super Summery recipe out of me!
Angel Food Cupcake-delicious every time!
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE fall, fall is my favorite. But, I just want to hold on to these delicious Summery flavors and fruits just a little while longer.
When I think of Summer, I think of bright flavors. What is more “bright” than citrus?
So, I thought angel food cupcakes would be perfect!
I love lemons and limes, I think they add to much to dishes! They are bright, tart and go perfectly in sweet and savory dishes.
I wanted to pair these two citrus fruits with a sweet that would let their flavors shine! When it’s hot and sticky out, I don’t want something that is going to weigh me down.
And they are! I had about a bajillion lemons and limes for a photo shoot and so I needed to use them up!
I looove using zest, so much flavor!
How to make Angel Food Cake Cupcakes?
Whip up the cupcake batter.
Bake for 16-18 Minutes and let cool completely before frosting.
While they are cooling whip up the Lemon Lime Whipped Frosting.
You will want to refrigerate the frosting for at least 15 minutes to help it set up before frosting the cupcakes.
Frost your cupcake and garnish with lemon and lime zest!
These are so pretty too! I couldn’t help but take about 100 pictures.
What is the flavor of angel food cake?
It has a light vanilla flavor and if you add in lemon extract then lemon too! The texture is light and fluffy!
What makes angel food cake so light and airy?
Whipping the egg whites until they are stiff and creating a meringue, along with the fact that their isn’t any fat in the cake makes this so light and airy.
What about you? Are you a citrus lover? Do you want to hold on to Summer or are you ready for fall?!
Since you’re here already, why don’t you stay a while and check out these other amazing recipes:
- Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake Cake
- Angel Food Cupcakes with Blackberry Frosting
- Lemon Lime Snack Cake
Tools used to make Angel Food Cake Cupcakes:
Lemon Lime Angel Food Cake Cupcakes
Lemon Lime Angel Food Cupcakes
Lemon Lime Angel Food Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Line a cupcake tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a food processor, place the sugar and pulse until super fine, 2 minutes. Sift half of the sugar with the flour and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl with hand mixer or stand mixer, place the egg whites, add in the water, vanilla and cream of tartar. Mix until fully combined. Gradually add in the remaining sugar until incorporated. place mixer on medium speed until egg whites form medium peaks.
- Start to add in the flour mixture a little at a time by sifting it onto the surface of the egg mixture and folding it in in very small batches. Finally, add in the lemon and lime zest and fold in.
- Fill the cupcake liners almost all the way to the top. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Lemon Lime Whipped Frosting
- Using a hand mixer, cream butter in a large bowl. Add in the powdered sugar a little at a time, this will form a thick paste. Add in the vanilla and milk, mix to combine. Add in the lemon and lime zest and half of the whipped topping and whisk in on low speed until smooth. Take the remaining whipped topping and fold in with a spoon or spatula. Place in fridge for 15 minutes to set up.
- Frost cupcakes, garnish with more lemon and lime zest if desired, enjoy! These cupcakes must be refrigerated if not eaten right away.