One of my favorite desserts growing up was dirt cake! Not only was it just a bonus two in one dessert with the gummi worms but it was just delicious.
I am a sucker for Oreo desserts like this but do you want to know a little secret? Just eating a plain Oreo… meh. I’m not that crazy about them, but crush them up and add them to desserts and things I’m all over that!
I really don’t get it… another one of my many silly qualities I suppose. With our frozen desserts series in full swing I knew I had to do a throw back dirt cake recipe. And dare I say… this is my new favorite?!
Frozen Dirt Cake Bars
This is definitely not traditional but a nod to the classic fun dessert. With an Oreo crumb crust, layers of sweetened cream cheese, more Oreo crumbs and gummi worms, this is sure to be a new household favorite!
Frozen Dirt Cake Bars
- 1 box family sized Oreos
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 8 oz whipped topping
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- gummi worms for garnish
- Taking that Oreos, place into a food processor and turn into crumbs, you may have to do this in batches. Take half of the crumb and mix with the melted butter. Line a 13x9 inch pan with parchment or wax paper and press the crumbs into the bottom of the pan to form a crust. Set aside.
- Take the cream cheese and with a hand mixer, cream on high for about a minute. Add in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla, mix until combined. Fold in the whipped topping. Take half of this mixture and pour over the Oreo crust.
- Taking about 1/3 of the remaining Oreo crumbs, dust this evenly over the vanilla mixture.
- With the remaining cream cheese mixture, add in the cocoa powder and whisk to combine. Pour this over the cookie crumbs and spread out as evenly as possible. Top the whole thing with the remaining cookie crumbs. Place in freezer for at least 4 hours or until completely set.
- To serve, top with gummi worms and cut into bars, enjoy!
Step by Step Directions
Yummm, I’m addicted to stuff like this.
AND, stuff like this is why I have gained back some of the weight I lost but that’s a whole other post… ahem. ANYways, what’s your favorite Oreo dessert?!
Remember, go see Parrish’s yummy recipe for Smores Pudding Pops!
Past frozen dessert recipes:
- No Chill Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies - July 1, 2020
- Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken - June 29, 2020
- 4th of July Party Idea + Chicken Salad with Cranberries - June 25, 2020