Chocolate Chip Muffins, chocolate muffins studded with chocolate chips, your favorite bakery treat! These chocolate chip muffins are ready in under 30 minutes!
Chocolate Chip Muffins
Homemade chocolate chip muffins are a fun indulgent breakfast option or even great as a snack or dessert. This recipe is for a bakery-style muffin; slightly crunchy on the outside, with a super moist chocolatey interior!
I know… I keep saying I’m on a “diet”, right? Well, when you run a cooking blog, it is hard to resist some of these yummy treats!
Hehe, sorry guys but it’s really all about moderation right? I’m trying to lose a few (or 30) pounds myself and you will be seeing some healthier recipes from me as well.
But, I just love making yummy treats like this. AND, they are for breakfast so they are a little healthy… right? Just lie to me here.
What is chocolate chip muffins?
Chocolate chip muffins come in two varieties, one with a chocolate base using cocoa powder, like these or with a basic muffin batter with no cocoa in it. Both versions have chocolate chips in them and baked.
I like this double chocolate version because… chocolate. But, if you want a lighter version I suggest trying Sally’s Baking Addiction bakery style chocolate chip muffins here.
How to make Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a tray with liners. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl, set aside. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar until combined, add in the remaining ingredients except for the chocolate chips and whisk to fully combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry slowly and with a large spoon mix until there are no more dry spot and all the dry mixture is scrapped off the bottom.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Fill liners to the top. Sprinkle with more chocolate chips.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 375 and continue to bake for 18-20 minutes. Do not over bake or muffins will be dry. Let sit in the pan for 10 minutes, serve and enjoy!
These are so great. They really aren’t overly sweet even though they look like they would be! Perfect with a glass of milk and some butter on these right out of the oven, YUM!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Tools needed to make Chocolate Chip Muffins from scratch
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Cup milk
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 Cups milk chocolate chips plus more for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray or line with liners. In a large bowl, add in the dry ingredients and whisk until combined, set aside. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar until combined. Add in the milk, butter, vanilla, and sour cream. Mix until fully combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry slowly and with a large spoon, mix until there are no more dry spot and all the dry mixture is scrapped off the bottom. The mixture will be slightly lumpy, do not over mix.
- Pour in the chocolate chips and fold in. Spoon muffin mix into tin or liners to the top, but not overflowing. Pop on a few more chocolate chips right on top so they are extra yummy looking when they come out.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 375 and continue to bake for 18-20 minutes. Do not over bake or muffins will be dry. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean with a few crumbs. Let sit in the pan for 10 minutes, serve and enjoy!
*This post was updated on July 2nd, 2018 with recipe tweak, new photos, and video added.