This simple Apple Walnut Loaf is a wonderful way to start the day with a hot cup of coffee!
Hello again! It’s Shannon from Cozy Country Living! I hope you all have enjoyed the first month of Fall!
I am so blessed to live in an area that has amazing, beautiful Fall foliage! Fall is my favorite season and along with the spectacular colors that mother nature allows us to enjoy this time of year, I also enjoy making warm, cozy, and comforting foods once the air gets that Autumn chill.
We always go apple picking at the end of September, so a lot of my cooking and baking has been inspired by our freshly picked apples. This simple Apple Walnut Loaf is a wonderful way to start the day with a hot cup of coffee!
Quick breads and muffins are just great aren’t they?! They are fast, easy and everyone just loves them. They can even be taken on the go, so that makes it perfect for a busy family.
This Apple Walnut Loaf is a thick, rustic bread that makes the best breakfasts or snacks in the Fall. Fresh apples are swirled with cinnamon, nutmeg and chopped walnuts in a buttermilk batter then topped with a cinnamon and sugar walnut mixture for an added crunch.
The delicious aromas will fill your home and call your family to the kitchen!
We love to serve this bread warm with a little butter, but it’s just as good served at room temperature.
I really like to have a slice of this with my coffee because it’s simple, and has just the right amount of light sweetness from the apples and brown sugar that is perfect first thing in the morning.
This recipe makes 1 large or 2 medium sized loaves of bread. I always like to make 2, because we usually eat one right away and then store the other loaf in the freezer for a different day. Share a little of Fall’s harvest with your family and try this yummy Apple Walnut Loaf soon!
Apple Walnut Loaf
For the Bread:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In your Kitchen Aid Mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat together.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients.
- Start to mix and slowly add the buttermilk and continue mixing until everything is just incorporated.
- Stir in the chopped apples and the walnuts.
- Add the batter to 1 large or 2 medium lightly greased loaf pans.
- Combine the topping ingredients and evenly sprinkle it on top of the loaves.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the loaves comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the bread from the loaf pans and continue cooling on a cooling rack.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
- *To freeze- cool completely and store in a freezer friendly plastic bag or container.
You May Also Enjoy: