Skinny Chicken Pad Thai, a favorite dish made lighter with chicken, veggies, peanuts and classic pad thai flavors!
I LOVE Asian food, it is one of my favorite cuisines, especially more specifically Thai dishes! They are just so bright and flavorful. And, pad thai happens to be one of my favorite dishes of all time.
Well, as you know, it is not always that great for you. Jeremy and I are on a hardcore lifestyle change with the way we eat. Does that mean I will only be sharing healthy recipes from now on? No, but we are exercising more and are more conscious of the types of foods we are consuming daily.
So, as you can imagine I have had to become a lot more creative lately with what I cook. I was on the Tablespoon.com website and stumbled upon this ah-mazing looking pad thai recipe loaded with chicken and cauliflower, I knew I had to try it out immediately!
Oh man, I was not disappointed! What I really love about Tablespoon.com is that they have a ton of recipes you really can’t find anywhere else. They are very eclectic and fun, with a lot of twists on classic recipes…. sound familiar? Kind of like what I do here almost every week!
I love taking a classic recipe and twisting it to fit my needs or to just make it more over the top delicious! (Strawberry shortcake cheesecake cake, anyone?? Okay, back to the healthy stuff…)
So, as you can imagine, today’s recipe is not made by me. I got if off of Tablespoon.com (on the website the recipe is called Thai Noodles with Chicken and Cauliflower), but I did do just a little twist on it, I used chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs, I am honestly just not a fan of chicken thighs, that’s the only reason.
BUT, the thing that really shocked me about this recipe is it’s 4 servings, and each serving is only 460 calories… WHAT?! I was shocked, that is a lot of food for 460 calories, I actually felt satisfied after eating my portion.
That has got to be one of my favorite things about Tablespoon.com, other than the amazing variety of recipes, is that they give you the nutritional information as well!
Enough talking, on to the recipe!!
Healthy Chicken Pad Thai
- 7 oz pad Thai rice noodles from 14-oz package
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cauliflower florets
- 1 red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 3 green onions thinly sliced on the bias
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted salted peanuts
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- In large microwavable bowl, place 8 cups water. Microwave uncovered on High 4 to 5 minutes or until boiling. Break noodles into 4-inch pieces, and let soak in hot water until softened, about 8 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- In small bowl, stir soy sauce, 3 tablespoons water, fish sauce and cornstarch with fork. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix chicken thighs and curry paste; stir to thoroughly coat. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add chicken in an even layer. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, without moving, until browned. Turn chicken, and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer or until no longer pink in center. Pour chicken with drippings into small bowl, and cover with foil; wipe out pan. Add remaining tablespoon of oil; place over medium-high heat, then add cauliflower and bell pepper, and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add soy mixture, drained noodles and chicken with drippings; stir to combine. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened. Stir in green onions, peanuts and herbs. Divide mixture among 4 plates. Serve with lime wedges.
Recipe NotesMake sure you have everything cut, chopped, washed and laid out, ready to cook before-hand, this will save a lot of time!!
Make sure you have everything cut, chopped, washed and laid out, ready to cook before-hand, this will save a lot of time!!
YUMMM, Jeremy was super impressed with this dish as well, I’m making it again tomorrow night for dinner!
To me the best part is all those fresh herbs, mmm! Have you been to Tablespoon.com yet?? If so, tell me you favorite dish you have made or seen in the comments below!
Order My Cookbook!