Hello my lovelies! Today I have for you a guest post I did with Mandy from House of Rose back in January. I haven’t posted it yet because to be honest I didn’t feel like we were in a healthy place here at the DeVolk household and didn’t want it to seem like we were. But, now we are back on a little health kick around here and we are trying to lose a little (maybe more than a little) weight and this recipe definitely ties into our new menu options. It is not the healthiest but it’s on that right track and I’m not trying to totally deprive ourselves either. So, here you have it: my recipe for Skinny Chicken Parmesan with Chunky Veggie Marinara. This “skinny” version of chicken Parmesan is loaded with veggies yet with a flavor profile that is familiar, this version will still leave you feeling satisfied.
4 each Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless
3 each Provolone Cheese Slices
1/2 tsp each Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Dried Oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 each Zucchini, medium sized small diced
1 each Carrot, peeled and small diced
Handful Grape Tomatoes, sliced
29 oz Tomato sauce, large can
3 oz Tomato paste, half of a small can
1/4 Cup Red Wine, any dry red will do
1 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/8 Cup Parmensan Cheese
6 ea Roasted Garlic pieces, smashed
Fresh Cracked Pepper to taste
That’s it! Serve this with whole wheat pasta or just some simple steamed veggies and it’s super yummy! I hope you enjoyed this skinny version of chicken Parmesan.
Thanks for reading! Any of you trying to lose a few pounds? Have any tips for flavorful dishes for me and Hubs??
- For the Chicken:
- 4 each Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless
- 3 each Provolone Cheese Slices
- 1/2 tsp each Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Dried Oregano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- For the Chunky Veggie Marinara:
- 2 each Zucchini, medium sized small diced
- 1 each Carrot, peeled and small diced
- Handful Grape Tomatoes, sliced
- 29 oz Tomato sauce, large can
- 3 oz Tomato paste, half of a small can
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine, any dry red will do
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 6 ea Roasted Garlic pieces, smashed
- Fresh Cracked Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season chicken breasts with seasonings and set aside.
- For the sauce get a large sauce pan over medium high heat spray pan with a light coating of cooking spray (if you have a gas stove do this away from the heat). Add fresh veggies and get a nice sear on them.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients and let simmer uncovered for at least 20 minutes. (Tip: if you don’t have roasted garlic on hand, 2 cloves of fresh garlic minced will do. Add fresh garlic just after the veggies get a good sear.)
- While the sauce is simmering get an oven safe skillet (a dutch oven will work too) hot over medium high heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Add chicken breasts and let them sit without moving for at least 3 minutes or until they form a golden brown crust.
- Place pan with the chicken in a heated 350 degree oven and let cook through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Top each breast with 1/2 cup of sauce and divide the cheese among the breasts. (Tip: when buying provolone for dishes like this, use the deli section and just ask for what you need, you will save a lot of money this way!)
- Place pan back in the oven and let the cheese melt and brown. If you want to speed up this process you can turn on the broiler and do it that way but keep an eye on it or it will burn very fast!
- Serve this with whole wheat pasta or just some simple steamed veggies and it’s super yummy!
** This post will be linking up at these Linky Parties: Setting For Four: It’s Party Time, Sunday Showcase Party: Under the Table and Dreaming, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, Tutorials and Tips: Home Stories A to Z, I’m Joining Kara for Look What I Made, I Gotta Create!: Wildly Original, Handy Man, Crafty Woman: Wicked Awesome Wednesday, Fine Craft Guild: Time For A Party!, Hungry Little Girl: Wednesday Extravaganza, The Shabby Creek Cottage: Transformation Thursday, Beyond the Picket Fence: Under $100 Linky Party, From My Front Porch to Yours: Treasure Hunt Thursday, 4 Little Fergusons: Weekend Potluck, House of Rose: Inspire Me Please Weekend Blog Hop, Serenity Now: Weekend Bloggy Reading, Tidy Mom: I’m Lovin’ It, French Country Cottage: Feathered Nest Friday, See Vanessa Craft: Do Something Crafty, Whipper Berry: Friday Flair, Funky Junk Interiors: Saturday Night Special,
…to see the other linky parties I link to or to see all my blog party buttons please click here!**
Latest posts by Dana DeVolk (see all)
- Peel and Eat Shrimp Cocktail (Plus Cocktail Sauce Recipe!) - May 17, 2019
- Sweet London Mule Cocktail - May 16, 2019
- Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe - May 15, 2019