Hello again everyone, I am Rosemary from An Italian in my kitchen. For my last post I would love to share the Italian classic, La Lasagna!
Apparently the traditional Lasagna is made of layering flat noodles with a meat sauce with a bechamel sauce and Parmigiano-Reggiano as added ingredients. The dish that I first ate is that is common in the Region where I live (Lazio) is made with a meat sauce, mozzarella, parmesan and a creamy white sauce.
I know most of you will ask no ricotta or hard boiled eggs? I’m afraid you will have to go a little more South to find that Lasagna. But believe me you will not be disappointed in this Lasagna recipe. I made four layers with a delicious meat sauce filled with a creamy, cheesy filling. So what are you waiting for? Buon Appetito!
FOR THE MEAT SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 4 cups tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- pinch hot pepper flakes if desired
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups chopped fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 16 more or less lasagna noodles (also referred to as strips, oven ready)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- In a large pot add all ingredients for the meat sauce (in order listed) cook on medium heat for approximately 30 minutes or until thickened.
- For the white sauce, in a medium pot over medium heat add butter, melt, then add flour and salt, combine with a whisk, add milk slowly and continue to stir until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a baking dish measuring 10x10x2 add 1- 1 1/2 ladles of meat sauce, do 3-4 layers (I did 4) starting with lasagna noodles, then meat sauce, white sauce, chopped mozzarella and parmesan cheese, continue the last layer should be without the white sauce, remember to divide ingredients by 3 or 4.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for approximate 20-25 minutes. Let sit 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
A few more recipes you might enjoy from An Italian in my kitchen: