Fried Loaded Mashed Potato Bites, a yummy and simple appetizer or side dish for any day of the week!
I can’t believe I’m typing this, but do you realize that Halloween is just over 2 weeks away? Seriously, once I hit 21 my life has just flown by in a blink! Pretty soon it will be Thanksgiving and I really don’t want to be scrambling to come up with dishes to make.
So, I have been experimenting with yummy things I can make for the holiday season already, I know, I’m one that wants to be better off safe than sorry! Since I’m already recipe developing for the season, you get the benefit of it too! You’re welcome 😉
If you have been a follower of this blog for ANY length of time, you will know I am all about those apps! Appetizers to be exact. I’m obsessed with small bites of food, what can I say?
If I could just make a huge buffet table loaded with appetizers for a large family get together, I would (and sometimes do!). So, taking my love of small bites I came up with amazingly delicious, crunchy fried loaded moashed potato bites! Which, could be served as a side dish as well, or a main course who am I kidding?
But, would it surprise you to know this comes together in a flash, like 9 minutes to be exact? No, I do not want you slaving over a huge pot of boiling potatoes when you have so many other things you have to worry about while making a huge meal. This is our little secret:
Using Idaho Spuds Mashed Potatoes are the secret to these little bites of heaven! I used the country buttered flavor, because…. duh. But, feel free to use whichever one speaks to you! There are 5 flavors to choose from!
I first made the Idaho Spuds in the microwave per the directions on the back of the bag. Then I mixed in crumbled bacon that I had precooked from breakfast (or you can use bacon bits here!), cheddar cheese and scallions. I rolled everything into balls and then flattened them out, pat on panko breadcrumbs then crisp them up in a pan with more butter. And, ta da!
Super easy and with that sour cream addition, whew honey, you will be making up excuses to whip up a batch!
Fried Loaded Mashed Potato Bites
- 2/3 Cup Idaho Spuds
- 1 Cup water
- 2 slices bacon crumbled (or 1/4 Cup bacon bits)
- 1/4 Cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 scallion sliced, green part only
- 1/2 Cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons butter unsalted
- serve with sour cream optional
- Place Idaho spuds and water into a microwave safe bowl, and mix to combine. Microwave for 2 minutes, carefully take out (it will be very hot!) and set aside.
- Mix in the bacon, scallions and cheese. Take about 1/4 of a cup of mixture and roll it into balls. Flatten out slightly into patties and press into the breadcrumbs, set aside.
- In a pan on the stove, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the potato bites and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Serve and enjoy!
Ugh, crunchy on the outside, warm and soft on the inside. Seriously, try these!!
Surprise! Are you ready to win a luxury getaway to Shore Lodge on beautiful Payette Lake in McCall, Idaho?? Just click here to enter the Home for the Holidays Contest! Good luck!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Latest posts by Dana DeVolk (see all)
- Easy Grilled Asparagus Recipe (Ready in Under 15 Minutes!) - February 24, 2020
- Marble Oreo Truffles - February 21, 2020
- Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini - February 20, 2020