Fried Green Tomato Crab Salad Sandwiches, jumbo lump crab salad over fried green tomatoes, arugula and red onion, all between two slices of bread!
Sandwiches are great. Just slap on some deli meat and cheese between two slices of bread and lunch is done. But, that can also get pretty boring after a while, can’t it?
If you have been following this blog for a while, you may have noticed that I like to go all out with my recipes. Today’s recipe is definitely no exception. I made the ultimate sandwich including two of my all-time favorite food groups; seafood and fried stuff. That’s right, I believe fried everything should be in a category all on its own: The Epic Deliciousness Category.
If you weren’t aware, fried green tomatoes are a southern staple and of course, why not put them on a sandwich! Piled high on those tomatoes is a creamy, decadent jumbo lump crab salad… excuse me while I drool.
This sandwich is NOT messing around.
Fried Green Tomato Crab Salad Sandwiches
- 8 ounces jumbo lump crab
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon chives thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian parsley chopped fine
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon old bay
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 1 large green tomato sliced 1/4 inch thick, 2 slices per sandwich
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour divided
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/8 cup cornmeal
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
- 4 slices White Bread or bread of your choice toasted
- 1 cup arugula loose pack
- thinly sliced red onion
- lemon zest
- Make this first, whisk together all the ingredients except for the crab in a small bowl, fold in the crab, carefully coating it in the dressing. Try not to break up the crab. Cover and set in refrigerator until ready to make sandwiches.
Fried Green Tomatoes
- Make a dredging station. Get three plates out, on the first plate add half of the flour, the second plate add the egg and third plate mix the remaining flour with the cornmeal. Season both the flour plate and the cornmeal mixture with salt and pepper.
- In a heavy bottom skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Oil should be 1/2 inch up the side of the pan.
- One by one, place the tomato slices first in the flour, coating evenly. Tap off excess flour then coat evenly with the egg. Finally, coat in the cornmeal mixture and tap off the excess. Fry tomatoes until golden brown, drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Take the toasted bread and layer the arugula, red onion and tomatoes, top with the crab salad and lemon zest (optional), top with remaining bread.
Yummy, yummy, I can’t wait to find an excuse to make these again. Well… I do have to eat tomorrow too, good enough for me!
What do you think? Is this something you would enjoy??