I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper amplification for Collective Bias and its advertiser. #CollectiveBias #JungleFresh
I haven’t mentioned this in the past but Jeremy and I are pretty big Disney fans! Jeremy’s favorite Disney movie is The Jungle Book and it just so happens that Disney is releasing a Blu-Ray/Combo Pack Diamond Edition that will be available at Walmart stores February 11th! So, being the foodaholic I am, I of course wanted to make some fun yet healthy snacks to have while watching The Jungle Book with my Hubby! I went with a tropical theme to go along with the movie!
Fresh Pineapple Salsa and Fresh Fruit Soda Pop
This pineapple salsa is so easy to make and very refreshing. The whole family will love it because it is sweet and savory at the same time! You can of course omit the jalapeno for little ones if needed!
- ½ pineapple, cut into very small dice
- 2 tsp fresh jalapeno, chopped fine
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbls fresh squeezed lime juice
- ¼ Cup Cilantro, fine chop
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the outer skin of the pineapple off by cutting off both ends. Stand it on one of the flat cut sides and with a knife, carefully cut down the sides all around the pineapple avoiding the pits as well as you can. Slice the pineapple into ¼ inch planks down the sides, stop once you get to the core. Cut the planks into a very small dice. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Chop the jalapeno, first cut off the stem and slice it open lengthwise. Take out the membrane and seeds on the inside and chop fine. Add to the pineapple.
- Finally, slice the green onions very thin, add in the cumin, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix together thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve with tortilla chips or on top of tacos and enjoy!
Oh yea, this was a huge hit! It has everything, sweet, salty, sour, a light smokiness from the cumin and just enough kick from the jalapeno! This one is definitely a keeper, and healthy!
Next, I served the chips and salsa with these fresh fruit soda pops!
These are super refreshing and again… healthy! Well, okay, healthier. And you really can’t get any easier. All you do is make a fruit puree with your choice of fruit like I did for my fresh strawberry sauce on my vanilla bean cheesecake. For the sodas I made four purees, yeah I went a little nuts! But feel free to use just one or your own choice of fruits! I made strawberry, pineapple, raspberry and cherry sodas. The raspberry was my favorite!
Now, once you have your fruit puree ready, you need to strain it with a wire mesh colander to get any pulp out (or leave it in if you like it!) and then mix it with equal parts puree to seltzer water. Then, add in to your taste a simple syrup. (Generally simple syrup is made with equal parts sugar and water that has been heated until the sugar melts. That way when you add it to drinks the sugar is already dissolved and won’t be gritty.) Mix gently with a spoon and that’s it! You can garnish with fresh fruit, serve it over ice in a cute glass or just guzzle it as it!
I got all this amazing fresh produce during my weekly shopping trip at Walmart. Their produce section is insane!
They have a great variety and keep a nice seasonal rotation so you know you’re getting your fruits and veggies at their peak.
Walmart is the only store offering a FREE Jungle Book Lunch Box with purchase of the Diamond Edition. So, make sure to hurry in and grab your copy soon!
Which flavor of fresh fruit soda pop will you try first??,