Caramelized Onion Bacon Tarts, sweet onions, salty bacon, herbs and Parmesan cheese atop puffed pastry make this an easy and elegant appetizer!
You all know me as a sucker for appetizers. Welp, here is another one for you! LOL, I have combined some of my favorite flavors in one dish! Caramelized onions, BACON and Parmesan cheese!
All on top of light, crispy puffed pastry… swoon. These are decadent, addicting… and surprisingly easy! You just have to be patient with the onions, and you’re good to go!
I can see these lined up on a buffet/party platter or served with a salad on a weeknight, the possibilities are endless!
This recipe is inspired by Grandbaby Cakes.
Caramelized Onion Bacon Tarts
- 1 yellow onion julienne
- pinch of salt
- 2 cracks black pepper
- 4 slices bacon diced 1/2 inch
- 1 teaspoon fresh flat leaf parsley chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped fine
- 2 sheets puff pastry from the freezer section
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- parmiggiano reggiano cheese
- Cook the bacon first in a medium sized saute pan over medium heat until crispy. Let drain on a paper towel, reserving bacon fat in pan.
- Place onions into bacon fat, season with salt and pepper, cook on medium low heat until soft and a deep brown color, stirring often. About 45-50 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Take out puff pastry and handle per the instructions on the back of the packaging. Cut out circles with a cookie cutter in 15 pieces. Place on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Make sure they are not touching.
- Whisk egg with the water and brush the top of the pastry rounds. Top evenly with the caramelized onions and bacon. Evenly sprinkle with the herbs, and top with 1/2 teaspoons grated cheese on each.
- Bake with 16 -20 minutes until golden brown. Serve and enjoy!
Yum! SO good, so simple. If you want to have yours not puff up like mine, just poke some holes with a fork in the puff pastry before adding the egg wash!
I really hope you enjoyed this recipe, for more appetizer ideas visit these posts below:
- Dark Chocolate Strawberry Homemade Granola - February 26, 2020
- White Chocolate Truffles - February 25, 2020
- Easy Grilled Asparagus Recipe (Ready in Under 15 Minutes!) - February 24, 2020